Spatial air index with neighbor information for processing k-nearest neighbor searches in IoT mobile computing
- 15 Downloads
In the Internet of thing (IoT), with the geographic location of geospatial sensor data and the global positioning systems, location-based services (LBSs) can provide powerful location-aware IoT applications for mobile clients according to their current locations. For LBSs, a k-nearest neighbor (kNN) search can provide a mobile client with geospatial sensor data of k-nearest spatial points of interest (POIs) according to its current location. In this paper, we propose a spatial air index with neighbor information to organize IoT geospatial sensor data for processing kNN searches in the wireless broadcast systems. Since the answered POIs may be neighbors of each other, we add neighbor information to the index structure, which is interleaved with geospatial sensor data, to speed up the query processing. To avoid unnecessary examination of geospatial sensor data from the wireless channel, the proposed method provides the centroid of geospatial data and the corresponding longest distance between the centroid and geospatial data in the region. With this information, the query processing of a kNN search can quickly determine whether to skip examining this region, saving energy consumption of the mobile device. Performance evaluations have verified that the proposed method outperforms the distributed spatial index.
KeywordsInternet of things k-nearest neighbor search Location-based services Mobile computing Spatial air index
This research was supported by Grant MOST 106-2410-H-468-009 from the Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan.
- 3.Priya RV, Sivaranjani S, Sivakumari S (2016) GIS enabled internet of things (IoT) applications: an overview. World Sci News 41:143–149Google Scholar
- 9.Iyer AP, Stoica I (2017) A scalable distributed spatial index for the internet-of-things. In: Proceedings of the 2017 Symposium on Cloud Computing, pp 548–560Google Scholar
- 10.Fathy Y, Barnaghi P, Tafazolli R (2017) Distributed spatial indexing for the internet of things data management. In: Proceedings of IFIP/IEEE Symposium on Integrated Network and Service Management, pp 1246–1251Google Scholar
- 18.Shen JH, Lu CT, Chu HR (2018) Neighbor link-based spatial index for k nearest neighbor queries in wireless systems. In: Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Frontier Computing, pp 1–7Google Scholar
- 20.Zheng B, Xu J, Lee, Lee WC, Lee DL (2004) Energy-conserving air indexes for nearest neighbor search. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT’04), pp 48–66Google Scholar
- 22.Park K, Song M, Kong KS, Kang SW, Hwang CS, Chung KS, Jung S (2006) Effective low-latency k-nearest neighbor search via wireless data broadcast. In Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Database Systems for Advanced Applications, pp 900–909Google Scholar