Improved deep packet inspection in data stream detection
- 13 Downloads
Finite state automata are widely used in firewalls, data detection and content audit systems to match complex sets of regular expressions in network packets. However, with the continuous increase in the types of network contents and network traffics in recent years, the deep packet inspection systems based on finite state automata also require regular engines for less memory consumption and higher operating speed. This paper analyzes the feature and problem of finite state automata and improves non-deterministic finite automata by reducing the conversion edge to reduce the memory usage. The experiment results which are made by real-world dataset show that the memory usage is reduced more than half.
KeywordsRegular expression NFA Conversion edges Deep packet inspection
This work was funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China (61772282, 61772454, 6171101570). It was also supported by the Priority Academic Program Development of Jiangsu Higher Education Institutions (PAPD), Postgraduate Research and Practice Innovation Program of Jiangsu Province (KYCX17_0901), Natural Science Foundation of Jiangsu Province (BK20150460) and Jiangsu Collaborative Innovation Center on Atmospheric Environment and Equipment Technology (CICAEET). It was also funded by the open research fund of Key Lab of Broadband Wireless Communication and Sensor Network Technology (Nanjing University of Posts and Telecommunications), Ministry of Education.
- 6.Rathod SB, Reddy VK (2017) Ndynamic framework for secure vm migration over cloud computing. J Inf Process Syst 13(3):476–490Google Scholar
- 17.Zeng D, Dai Y, Li F, Sherratt RS, Wang J (2018) Adversarial learning for distant supervised relation extraction. Comput Mater Contin 55(1):121–136Google Scholar
- 18.Tu Y, Lin Y, Wang J, Kim JU (2018) Semi-supervised learning with generative adversarial networks on digital signal modulation classification. Comput Mater Contin 55(2):243–254Google Scholar
- 20.Vuppala R, Farik M (2015) Intrusion detection amp prevention systems-sourcefire snort. Int J Sci Technol Res 4(8):220–223Google Scholar
- 25.Yu F, Chen Z, Diao Y, Lakshman T, Katz RH (2006) Fast and memory-efficient regular expression matching for deep packet inspection. In: ACM/IEEE Symposium on Architecture for Networking and Communications Systems, 2006. ANCS 2006, pp 93–102Google Scholar
- 26.Becchi M, Crowley P (2008) Extending finite automata to efficiently match Perl-compatible regular expressions. In: ACM conference on emerging network experiment and technology, pp 1–12Google Scholar
- 27.Becchi M, Crowley P (2007) A hybrid finite automaton for practical deep packet inspection. In: Proceedings of the 2007 ACM CoNEXT Conference, pp 1–12Google Scholar