Distributed multi-hop cooperative communication in dense wireless sensor networks
- First Online:
- 183 Downloads
In this paper, we investigate the use of cooperative communications for high performance data dissemination in dense wireless sensor networks. We first identify the limitations of existing cooperative schemes. While we previously proposed a multi-hop cooperative data dissemination scheme, REER, to address these limitations, the construction of such structure relies on a pre-established reference path. The partially centralized approach makes REER unscalable when encountering network dynamics. To address this issue, this paper proposes a novel distributed multi-hop cooperative communication scheme (DMC), which is fully distributed and consists of two operation phases: (1) cooperative mesh structure (CMS) construction, and (2) CMS-based data dissemination, which includes random value-based scheme and distance-based scheme for forwarding node selection. Simulation results show that DMC performs well in terms of a number of QoS metrics, and fits well in large-scale networks and highly dynamic environments.
KeywordsCooperative communication Wireless sensor networks Data dissemination
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Hunter TE, Nosratinia A (2002) Cooperation diversity through coding. In: Proc IEEE 2002 international symposium on information theory (ISIT’02), Lausanne, Switzerland, June 2002, p 220 Google Scholar
- 5.Hunter TE, Nosratinia A (2004) Distributed protocols for user cooperation in multi-user wireless networks. In: Proc IEEE the 47th annual global telecommunications conference (GLOBECOM’04), Dallas, Texas, USA, Nov 2004, pp 3788–3792 Google Scholar
- 6.Liu P, Tao Z, Lin Z, Erkip E, Hivendra Panwar S (2006) Cooperative communication in wireless networks. IEEE Wireless Commun 13(10):84–92 Google Scholar
- 9.Sadek YWAK, Liu KR (2006) When does cooperation have better performance in sensor networks? In: Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE sensor and ad hoc communications and networks (SECON’06), 2006, pp 188–197 Google Scholar
- 10.Conti EGM, Maselli G (2004) Cooperation issues in mobile ad hoc networks. In: Proceedings of the 24th international conference on distributed computing systems workshops (ICDCSW’04), 2004, pp 803–808 Google Scholar
- 14.Hunter T, Nosratinia A (2002) Cooperation. diversity through coding In: Proceedings of the IEEE international symposium on information theory (ISIT’02), 2002, pp 220 Google Scholar
- 17.Hunter T, Nosratinia A (2004) Distributed protocols for user cooperation in multi-user wireless networks. In: Proceedings of the 47th IEEE annual global telecommunications conference (GLOBECOM’04), 2004, pp 3788–3792 Google Scholar
- 20.Biswas S, Morris R (2005) Exor: Opportunistic multi-hop routing for wireless networks. In: Proc ACM the 2005 annual conference of special interest group on data communication (SIGCOMM’05), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, Aug 2005, pp 133–134 Google Scholar
- 23.(2009) Available: http://www.ece.ubc.ca/~minchen/file/mesh.exe