The novel notion of importing logics is introduced, subsuming as special cases several kinds of asymmetric combination mechanisms, like temporalization [8, 9], modalization  and exogenous enrichment [13, 5, 12, 4, 1]. The graph-theoretic approach proposed in  is used, but formulas are identified with irreducible paths in the signature multi-graph instead of equivalence classes of such paths, facilitating proofs involving inductions on formulas. Importing is proved to be strongly conservative. Conservative results follow as corollaries for temporalization, modalization and exogenous enrichment.
KeywordsCombined logics Importing logics Temporalization Modalization Exogenous enrichment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Blackburn, P., M. de Rijke, and Y. Venema, Modal Logic. Vol. 53 of Cambridge Tracts in Theoretical Computer Science, Cambridge University Press, 2001.Google Scholar
- 3.Caleiro, C., C. Sernadas, and A. Sernadas, Parameterisation of logics. In J. Fiadeiro (ed.), Recent Trends in Algebraic Development Techniques - Selected Papers, vol. 1589 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 1999, pp. 48–62.Google Scholar
- 5.Chadha, R., P. Mateus, A. Sernadas, and C. Sernadas, Extending classical logic for reasoning about quantum systems. In D. Gabbay, K. Engesser, and D. Lehmann (eds.), Handbook of Quantum Logic and Quantum Structures: Quantum Logic, Elsevier, 2009, pp. 325–372.Google Scholar
- 6.del Cerro, L. Fariñas, and A. Herzig, Combining classical and intuitionistic logic. In F. Baader, and K. Schulz (eds.), Frontiers of Combining Systems, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996, pp. 93–102.Google Scholar
- 7.Fajardo, R. A. S., and M. Finger, Non-normal modalisation. In Advances in Modal Logic, vol. 4, King’s College Publications, 2003, pp. 83–95.Google Scholar
- 10.Goldblatt, R., Mathematical modal logic: A view of its evolution. In D. M. Gabbay, and J.Woods (eds.), Handbook of the History of Logic, vol. 7, Elsevier, 2006, pp. 1–98.Google Scholar
- 13.Mateus, P., A. Sernadas, and C. Sernadas, Exogenous semantics approach to enriching logics. In G. Sica (ed.), Essays on the Foundations of Mathematics and Logic, vol. 1, Polimetrica, 2005, pp. 165–194.Google Scholar
- 16.van Dalen, D., Intuitionistic logic. In D. Gabbay, and F. Guenthner (eds.), Handbook of Philosophical Logic, vol. III, D. Reidel Publishing Company, 1986, pp. 225–339.Google Scholar