A DFT investigation of the retro-ene reactions of β-hydroxyacetylenes: concerted or stepwise mechanism
- 4 Downloads
The retro-ene reactions of β-hydroxyacetylene and its 10 derivatives have been investigated theoretically at the B3LYP/6-31+G(d) level. The reactions are found to proceed through asynchronous concerted transition states. The thermodynamic data reveal that the reactions are exergonic with increase in the standard entropy. However, due to high values of the activation Gibbs free energy (∆G#) and negative values of the activation entropy (∆S#), reactions occur at elevated temperatures. The substituent groups in general do not have pronounced effect on the activation enthalpies, except the phenyl group in which case, it is lowered. The concerted versus stepwise mechanism has been investigated by complete active space-self consistent field (CASSCF) calculations also.
KeywordsRetro-ene reaction β-Hydroxyacetylenes Concerted versus stepwise mechanism DFT calculations CASSCF calculations
Authors thank the authorities of the IIS (Deemed to be a University), Jaipur (India) for providing necessary facilities.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Review: Ripolle Jh, Vallee Y (1993) Synthesis 659–677Google Scholar
- 3.Landor SF (ed) (1982) The chemistry of the allenes. Academic Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 4.Schuster HF, Coppola GM (1984) Allenes in organic synthesis. Wiley-Interscience, New York, p 1Google Scholar
- 6.Review : Viola A, Collines JJ, Filipp N (1981) Tetrahedron 37:3765–3811Google Scholar
- 15.Frisch MJ, Trucks GW, Schlegel HB, Scuseria GE, Robb MA, Cheeseman JR, Scalmani G, Barone V, Petersson GA, Nakatsuji H, Li X, Caricato M, Marenich AV, Bloino J, Janesko BG, Gomperts R, Mennucci B, Hratchian HP, Ortiz JV, Izmaylov AF, Sonnenberg JL, Williams-Young D, Ding F, Lipparini F, Egidi F, Goings J, Peng B, Petrone A, Henderson T, Ranasinghe D, Zakrzewski VG, Gao J, Rega N, Zheng G, Liang W, Hada M, Ehara M, Toyota K, Fukuda R, Hasegawa J, Ishida M, Nakajima T, Honda Y, Kitao O, Nakai H, Vreven T, Throssell K, JAJr M, Peralta JE, Ogliaro F, Bearpark MJ, Heyd JJ, Brothers EN, Kudin KN, Staroverov VN, Keith TA, Kobayashi R, Normand J, Raghavachari K, Rendell AP, Burant JC, Iyengar SS, Tomasi J, Cossi M, Millam JM, Klene M, Adamo C, Cammi R, Ochterski JW, Martin RL, Morokuma K, Farkas O, Foresman JB, Fox DJ (2016) Gaussian 16, Revision B.01. Gaussian, Inc, WallingfordGoogle Scholar
- 17.Foresman JB, Frisch A (2015) Exploring chemistry with electronic structure methods. Gaussian Inc, WallingfordGoogle Scholar