A mainly NMR-based structure elucidation of a surprising vindoline trimer with the aid of non-uniform sampled 1H-13C HSQC and HMBC spectra
- 16 Downloads
Two unexpected and unusual vindoline trimers, a ketone and a methyl ether cation, were isolated from a reaction aimed at producing new, synthetically modified vinca alkaloids. The presence of several very similar molecular subunits in these products resulted in highly congested 1H and 13C NMR spectra, whereby their structure elucidation and proper spectroscopic characterization turned out to be a rather challenging task. To overcome this problem, non-uniform sampling was applied as a resolution enhancement tool on an 800 MHz NMR spectrometer. Our present description of how we accomplished both the structure determination and full NMR assignment of these molecules via the use of state-of-the-art NMR and MS techniques is not only paramount in proving their structure, but also exemplifies how—contrary to a common notion—difficult it can be to solve the structure of small molecules even with the aid of the latest NMR and MS methods.
KeywordsStructure elucidation 2D NMR HSQC and HMBC Non-uniform sampling (NUS) Mass spectrometry Unexpected vindoline trimer Vinca alkaloids
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Pyrhönen S, Salminen E, Ruutu M, Lehtonen T, Nurmi M, Tammela T, Juusela H, Rintala E, Hietanen P, Kellokumpu-Lehtinen PL (1999) Prospective randomized trial of interferon alfa-2a plus vinblastine versus vinblastine alone in patients with advanced renal cell cancer. J Clin Oncol 17:2859–2868CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Lassaletta A, Scheinemann K, Zelcer SM, Hukin J, Wilson BA, Jabado N, Carret AS, Lafay-Cousin L, Larouche V, Hawkins CE, Pond GR, Poskitt K, Keene D, Johnston DL, Eisenstat DD, Krishnatry R, Mistry M, Arnoldo A, Ramaswamy V, Huang A, Bartels U, Rabori U, Bouffet E (2016) Phase II weekly vinblastine for chemotherapy-naïve children with progressive low-grade glioma: a Canadian pediatric brain tumor consortium study. J Clin Oncol 34:3537–3543CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Allemann O, Brutsch M, Lukesh III JC, Brody DM, Boger DL (2016) Synthesis of a potent vinblastine: rationally designed added benign complexity. J Am Chem Soc 38:8376–8379Google Scholar
- 8.Keglevich A, Mayer S, Pápai R, Szigetvári Á, Sánta Z, Dékány M, Szántay Jr C, Keglevich P, Hazai L (2018) Attempted synthesis of vinca alkaloids condensed with three-membered rings. Molecules 23:2574Google Scholar
- 9.Szántay Jr C (ed) (2015) Anthropic awareness: the human aspects of scientific thinking in NMR spectroscopy and mass spectrometry. Elsevier, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 11.Kazimierczuk K, Orekhov VYu (2011) Accelerated NMR spectroscopy by using compressed sensing. Angew Chem Int Ed 50:5556–5559Google Scholar