Proposing a multi-agency development framework
- 315 Downloads
Systems used in complex, multi-agency environments have a number of inherent problems and challenges that in many cases, lead to systems failure. The area of system failure has been the subject of extensive research in the past. It has been well documented in a number of places that information systems are difficult to build and are prone to failure. This paper examines system failure from a social perspective in the context of building systems in complex environments. Through a case study modelling approach, a framework has been developed to assist in building information systems in such complex multi-agency environments. The paper introduces this framework through a study of a number of challenges confronting the builder of information systems in complex, social, multi-agency environments. We examine the role of task accountability and problems identifying authority as key reasons why systems are rejected by users. We introduce a task accountability model to help understand this problem. We conclude by identifying work still to be carried out within the study.
KeywordsMulti-agency environment System failure Case study modelling Task accountability
- Checkland, P. (1981). Systems thinking, systems practice. New Jersey, USA: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Standish.Group. (1999). The Chaos Report. Dennis, MA: Standish Group International, Inc.Google Scholar
- Haringey Children’s Services Authority Area Joint Area Review (2008), Ofsted.Google Scholar
- Lord Laming (2003), The report of an inquiry, The victoria climbié inquiry, HMSO.Google Scholar
- Ludman, M., Knight, B., Windall, G., Petridis, M., Attah, D., Clipsham, P. (2006). Integrating rich pictures with UML, British Computer Society. In Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Software Quality Management April 2006. UK; Southampton.Google Scholar
- Martin, J. (2002). Organizational culture: Mapping the terrain. California,USA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Myers, M. D. (1999). Investigating information systems with ethnographic research. Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 2(23), 2–19.Google Scholar
- RESET Final report (2007), Resettlement Checklist EQUAL Project, ESF, http://www.equal-works.com/dpdetail.aspx?ety=7462dc64-f347-45cf-989c-a7343fd7e8c2 (viewed 02/02/2009).
- Schein, E. H. (2004). Organizational culture and leadership (3rd edn.). New Jersey, USA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- The Guardian (2008), Timeline: The short life of Baby P, The Guardian Website, http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/nov/11/baby-p-death (viewed 02/02/2009).