Structures in the Outer Solar Atmosphere
- 947 Downloads
The structure and dynamics of the outer solar atmosphere are reviewed with emphasis on the role played by the magnetic field. Contemporary observations that focus on high resolution imaging over a range of temperatures, as well as UV, EUV and hard X-ray spectroscopy, demonstrate the presence of a vast range of temporal and spatial scales, mass motions, and particle energies present. By focusing on recent developments in the chromosphere, corona and solar wind, it is shown that small scale processes, in particular magnetic reconnection, play a central role in determining the large-scale structure and properties of all regions. This coupling of scales is central to understanding the atmosphere, yet poses formidable challenges for theoretical models.
KeywordsSun Corona Hard X-rays
We thank Andre Balogh for organizing this workshop and ISSI staff for their hospitality. The work of L. Fletcher has been supported by STFC grant ST/I001808/1 and that of S. Antiochos has been supported by the NASA TR&T and SR&T Programs.
- W.I. Axford, J.F. McKenzie, in Solar Wind Seven Colloquium, ed. by E. Marsch, R. Schwenn (1992), pp. 1–5 Google Scholar
- M. Bareford, A. Hood, in AAS/Solar Physics Division Meeting. AAS/Solar Physics Division Meeting, vol. 44 (2013), p. 200.02 Google Scholar
- P.J. Cargill, in Fundamental Space Plasma Problems: Jim Dungey at 90, ed. by D.J. Southwood, S.W.H. Cowley (2014a) Google Scholar
- M.L. De Rosa, C.J. Schrijver, G. Barnes, K.D. Leka, B.W. Lites, M.J. Aschwanden, T. Amari, A. Canou, J.M. McTiernan, S. Régnier, J.K. Thalmann, G. Valori, M.S. Wheatland, T. Wiegelmann, M.C.M. Cheung, P.A. Conlon, M. Fuhrmann, B. Inhester, T. Tadesse, Astrophys. J. 696, 1780 (2009). arXiv:0902.1007. doi: 10.1088/0004-637X/696/2/1780 ADSGoogle Scholar
- J.W. Dungey, Philos. Mag. 44, 725 (1953) Google Scholar
- J.A. Klimchuk, in Solar Jets and Coronal Plumes, ed. by T.-D. Guyenne. ESA Special Publication, vol. 421 (1998), p. 233 Google Scholar
- P.J.A. Simões, L. Fletcher, H.S. Hudson, A.J.B. Russell, ArXiv e-prints (2013). arXiv:1309.7090
- Z. Svestka, S.F. Martin, R.A. Kopp, in Solar and Interplanetary Dynamics, ed. by M. Dryer, E. Tandberg-Hanssen. IAU Symposium, vol. 91 (1980), pp. 217–221 Google Scholar
- R. von Steiger, R.F.W. Schweingruber, J. Geiss, G. Gloeckler, Adv. Space Res. 15, 3 (1995) Google Scholar