Electron Physics of Asymmetric Magnetic Field Reconnection
- 401 Downloads
There have been many significant advances in understanding magnetic field reconnection as a result of improved space measurements and two-dimensional computer simulations. While reviews of recent work have tended to focus on symmetric reconnection on ion and larger spatial scales, the present review will focus on asymmetric reconnection and on electron scale physics involving the reconnection site, parallel electric fields, and electron acceleration.
KeywordsMagnetic field reconnection Asymmetric reconnection Electron acceleration Electric fields
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. Büchner, W.S. Daughton, in Reconnection of Magnetic Fields, ed. by J. Birn, E. Priest (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 2007), pp. 144–153 Google Scholar
- C.-G. Fälthammar, F.S. Mozer, Eos 88(15) (2007) Google Scholar
- G.D. Holman, Sci. Am. 38 (2006) Google Scholar
- B.U.O. Sonnerup, in Solar System Plasma Physics, ed. by L.T. Lanzerotti, C.F. Kennel, E.N. Parker (North-Holland, New York, 1979), pp. 45–108 Google Scholar
- P.A. Sweet, in Electromagnetic Phenomena in Cosmical Physics, ed. by B. Lehnert (Cambridge Univ. Press, New York, 1958), pp. 123–134 Google Scholar
- M. Yamada, R. Kulsrud, H. Ji, Rev. Mod. Phys. 82 (2010). doi:10.1103/RevModPhys.82.603