The Interstellar Boundary Explorer Science Operations Center
- 101 Downloads
The Interstellar Boundary Explorer (IBEX) Science Operations Center is responsible for supporting analysis of IBEX data, generating special payload command procedures, delivering the IBEX data products, and building the global heliospheric maps of energetic neutral atoms (ENAs) in collaboration with the IBEX team. We describe here the data products and flow, the sensor responses to ENA fluxes, the heliospheric transmission of ENAs (from 100 AU to 1 AU), and the process of building global maps of the heliosphere. The vast majority of IBEX Science Operations Center (ISOC) tools are complete, and the ISOC is in a remarkable state of readiness due to extensive reviews, tests, rehearsals, long hours, and support from the payload teams. The software has been designed specifically to support considerable flexibility in the process of building global flux maps. Therefore, as we discover the fundamental properties of the interstellar interaction, the ISOC will iteratively improve its pipeline software, and, subsequently, the heliospheric flux maps that will provide a keystone for our global understanding of the solar wind’s interaction with the interstellar medium. The ISOC looks forward to the next chapter of the IBEX mission, as the tools we have developed will be used in partnership with the IBEX team and the scientific community over the coming years to define our global understanding of the solar wind’s interaction with the local interstellar medium.
KeywordsSolar wind Termination shock Interstellar boundaries Interstellar medium Energetic neutral atoms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Bzowski , in The Interstellar Boundary Explorer Mission, ed. by D. M. (Springer, Berlin, 2009) Google Scholar
- H. Funsten , in The Interstellar Boundary Explorer Mission, ed. by D. M. (Springer, Berlin, 2009) Google Scholar
- S. Fuselier , in The Interstellar Boundary Explorer Mission, ed. by D. M. (Springer, Berlin, 2009) Google Scholar
- K.M. Górski et al., in Evolution of Large Scale Structure: From Recombination to Charging, ed. by A.J. Banday, R.K. Sheth, L.N. da Costa, 1999, p. 37 Google Scholar
- P. Wu, P. Gary, D. Winske, N. Schwadron, J. Geophys. Res. (2009, submitted) Google Scholar