Heating Diagnostics with MHD Waves
The heating of the solar atmosphere is a fundamental problem of modern solar and astrophysics. A review of the seismological aspects of magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) waves with an emphasis on standing longitudinal waves in the context of coronal heating is presented. Efforts made recently may be split into two categories: forward modelling and data inversion. Forward modelling can be applied to predict the observational footprints of various heating scenarios. A new diagnostic method based on the analysis of Doppler shift time series is outlined with specific application to solar coronal conditions. The power of the method is demonstrated and tested using synthetic data and comparing them with actual high-resolution (e.g. SoHO/SUMER) observations. Further, related recent examples of standing longitudinal oscillations in coronal loop structures observed with the new Hinode/EIS instrument are also presented. These latter observations provide an advanced ground for MHD seismology as a tool for plasma heating diagnostics in the atmosphere of the Sun.
KeywordsMHD waves Coronal heating Forward modelling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Antolin et al., Astrophys. J. (2009, in preparation) Google Scholar
- M.J. Aschwanden, Physics of the Solar Corona (Springer, New York, 2006) Google Scholar
- P. Cargill, in Solar System Plasma Physics: Resolution of Processes in Space and Time, ed. by J.L. Birch, J.H. Waite Jr. (1993) Google Scholar
- R. Erdélyi, Astron. Geophys. 45, 34 (2004) Google Scholar
- L. Golub, J.M. Pasachoff, The Solar Corona. CUP (1997) Google Scholar
- D. Gómez, P. Dmitruk, in Proceedings of IAUS 247: Waves and Oscillations in the Solar Atmosphere: Heating and Magneto-Seismology, ed. by R. Erdélyi, C.A. Mendoza-Briceño. IAUS, vol. 247, (2008) Google Scholar
- J.V. Hollweg, in Mechanisms of Chromospheric and Coronal Heating, ed. by P. Ulmschneider (Springer, Berlin, 1991), p. 423 Google Scholar
- E.N. Parker, Astrophys. J. 330, 380 (1988) Google Scholar
- B. Roberts, V.M. Nakariakov, in Turbulence, Waves and Instabilities in the Solar Plasma, ed. by R. Erdélyi et al. NATO Science Ser., vol. 124 (2003), p. 167 Google Scholar
- M.S. Ruderman, R. Erdélyi, in Waves, Oscillations and Small-Scale Transient Events in the Solar Atmosphere: A Joint View from SOHO and TRACE, ed. by R. Erdélyi, J.L. Ballester, B. Fleck. ESA-SP vol. 547 (2004), p. 507 Google Scholar
- C. Torrence, G.P. Compo, Bull. Am. Meteor. Soc. 79, 61 (1998) Google Scholar
- P. Ulmschneider, in Lect. Notes in Phys., vol. 507, ed. by J.-C. Vial et al. (1998), p. 77 Google Scholar