The THEMIS Magnetic Cleanliness Program
- 143 Downloads
The five identical THEMIS Spacecraft, launched in February 2007, carry two magnetometers on each probe, one DC fluxgate (FGM) and one AC search coil (SCM). Due to the small size of the THEMIS probes, and the short length of the magnetometer booms, magnetic cleanliness was a particularly complex task for this medium sized mission. The requirements leveled on the spacecraft and instrument design required a detailed approach, but one that did not hamper the development of the probes during their short design, production and testing phase. In this paper we describe the magnetic cleanliness program’s requirements, design guidelines, program implementation, mission integration and test philosophy and present test results, and mission on-orbit performance.
KeywordsTHEMIS Magnetic cleanliness Spacecraft cleanliness
PACS94.05.-a 94.80.+g 95.40.+s 07.87.+v
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B.J. Anderson, M.H. Acuna, D.A. Lohr et al., The Magnetometer Instrument on MESSENGER, The MESSENGER Mission to Mercury (Springer, New York, 2008), pp. 417–450 Google Scholar
- V. Angelopoulos, The THEMIS mission. Space Sci. Rev. (2008, this issue). doi: 10.1007/s11214-008-9336-1
- U. Auster et al., The FluxGate Magnetometer for THEMIS. Space Sci. Rev. (2008, this issue). doi: 10.1007/s11214-008-9365-9
- N. Huang, P. Narvaez, THEMIS post magnetics test report. May 16, 2006a, JPL IOM Number 5132-06-036 Google Scholar
- N. Huang, P. Narvaez, THEMIS F1-F5 magnetics test Report. September 14, 2006b, JPL IOM 5132-06-073 Google Scholar
- H. Kugler, Lessons learned during the magnetic cleanliness programs of the cluster projects, in Proceedings 4th International Symposium on Environmental Testing for Space Programmes. June 2001 Google Scholar
- O. Le Contel, A. Roux, P. Robert et al., First results of the THEMIS search coil magnetometers. Space Sci. Rev. (2008) Google Scholar
- P. Narvaez, THEMIS Probe DC magnetics procedure. March 16, 2006, JPL D-33980 Google Scholar
- Roux et al., The search coil magnetometer for THEMIS, Space Sci. Rev. (2008, this issue) Google Scholar
- B. Ruff, N. Huang, P. Narvaez, THEMIS flight model P2 system level electromagnetic compatibility test report. May 12, 2006, JPL IOM Number 5132-06-035 Google Scholar