The THEMIS Digital Fields Board
- 268 Downloads
The Digital Fields Board (DFB) performs the data acquisition and signal processing for the Electric Fields Instrument and Search Coil Magnetometer on each of the THEMIS (Time History of Events and Macroscale Interactions during Substorms) satellites. The processing is highly flexible and low-power (∼1.1 watt orbit-averaged). The primary data products are time series waveforms and wave power spectra of the electric and magnetic fields. The power spectra can be computed either on the raw signals (i.e. in a system co-rotating with the spacecraft) or in a coordinate system aligned with the local DC magnetic field. Other data products include spectral power from multiple passbands (filter banks) and electric power in the 30–500 kHz band. The DFBs on all five spacecraft have been turned on and checked out in-flight, and are functioning as designed.
KeywordsTHEMIS Signal processing Electric field instrument Search-coil magnetometer
PACS07.50.Qx 07.87.+v 94.80.+g 95.55.-n 84.40.Ua
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Andraka, A survey of CORDIC algorithms for FPGAs, in Proceedings of the 1998 ACM/SIGDA Sixth International Symposium on Field Programmable Gate Arrays, 22–24 Feb. 1998, Monterey, CA (1998) Google Scholar
- V. Angelopoulos, The THEMIS mission. Space Sci. Rev. (2008, this issue). doi: 10.1007/s11214-008-9336-1
- H.U. Auster, K.H. Glassmeier, W. Magnes, O. Aydogar, W. Baumjohann, D. Constantinescu, D. Fischer, K.H. Fornacon, E. Georgescu, P. Harvey, O. Hillenmaier, R. Kroth, M. Ludlam, Y. Narita, R. Nakamura, K. Okrafka, F. Plaschke, I. Richter, H. Schwarz, B. Stoll, A. Valavanoglou, M. Wiedemann, The THEMIS fluxgate magnetometer. Space Sci. Rev. (2008, this issue). doi: 10.1007/s11214-008-9365-9
- M. Boehm, C. Carlson, J. McFadden, J. Clemmons, R. Ergun, F. Mozer, Wave rectification in plasma sheaths surrounding electric field antennas. J. Geophys. Res. (1994) Google Scholar
- J. Bonnell, P. Kintner, J.E. Wahlund, J. Holtet, Modulated langmuir waves: observations from freja and SCIFER. J. Geophys. Res. (1997) Google Scholar
- J.W. Bonnell, F.S. Mozer, G.T. Delory, A.J. Hull, R.E. Ergun, C.M. Cully, V. Angelopoulos, P.R. Harvey, The electric field instrument (EFI) for THEMIS. Space Sci. Rev. (2008, this issue) Google Scholar
- A. Roux, O. Le Contel, C. Coillot, A. Boubdellah, B. de la Porte, D. Alison, S. Ruocco, M.C. Vassal, The search coil magnetometer for THEMIS. Space Sci. Rev. (2008, this issue) Google Scholar
- E. Taylor et al., The instrument data processing unit for THEMIS. Space Sci. Rev. (2008, this issue) Google Scholar
- J.E. Volder, The CORDIC trigonometric computing technique. IRE Trans. Electron. Comput. (1959) Google Scholar