ROMAP: Rosetta Magnetometer and Plasma Monitor
- 349 Downloads
The scientific objectives, design and capabilities of the Rosetta Lander’s ROMAP instrument are presented. ROMAP’s main scientific goals are longterm magnetic field and plasma measurements of the surface of Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko in order to study cometary activity as a function of heliocentric distance, and measurements during the Lander’s descent to investigate the structure of the comet’s remanent magnetisation. The ROMAP fluxgate magnetometer, electrostatic analyser and Faraday cup measure the magnetic field from 0 to 32 Hz, ions of up to 8000 keV and electrons of up to 4200 keV. Additional two types of pressure sensors – Penning and Minipirani – cover a pressure range from 10−8 to 101 mbar. ROMAP’s sensors and electronics are highly integrated, as required by a combined field/plasma instrument with less than 1 W power consumption and 1 kg mass.
Keywordsplasma physics comet fluxgate magnetometer electrostatic analyser
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bagdonat, T., Motschmann, U., Glassmeier, K. H., and Kührt, E.: 2004, Plasma environment of comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko: 3D hybrid code simulations, The new Rosetta Targets, Kluwer, 153.Google Scholar
- Blanco-Cano, X., Omidi, N., and Russell, C. T.: 2003, J. Geophys. Res. 108, No. A5, SSH 11.Google Scholar
- Feldman, P. D., A’Hearn, M. F., and Festou, M. C.: 2004. Observations of Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko with the International Ultraviolet Explorer at Perihelion in 1982, Kluwer, The New Rosetta Targets, pp. 47.Google Scholar
- Glassmeier, K. H., Richter, I., Diedrich, A., Musmann, G., Auster, H. U., Motschmann, U., et al.: Space Sci. Rev., this issue, doi: 10.1007/s11214-006-9114-x.Google Scholar
- Lazarus, A. J., Steinberg, J. T., and McNutt, R. L.: 1993, A Low Mass Faraday Cup Experiment for the Solar Wind. Proceedings of the Small Instrument Workshop held 29–31 March, 1993 in Pasadena, CA. Edited by B. T. Tsurutani. Washington, DC: National Aeronautics and Space Division, p. 3.Google Scholar
- Mäkinen, J. T. T.: 2004, Water production rate of cornet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, Kluwer, The New Rosetta Targets, 61.Google Scholar
- Motschmann, U., and Kührt, E.: 2006, Interaction of the solar wind with weak obstacles: Hybrid simulations for weak comets and Mars, Space Sci. Rev., (in press).Google Scholar
- Simon, S., Bagdonat, T., Motschmann, U., Glassmeier, K. H.: 2006, Ann. Geophys., 24, in press.Google Scholar
- Sugiura, N., and Strangway, D. W.: 1998, In J. F. Kerridge and M. S. Matthews (Eds.) Magnetic Studies of Meteorites, Meteorites and the Early Solar System, Univ. Arizona Press, Tucson USA pp. 595.Google Scholar