On-line Tools for Solar Data Compiled at the Debrecen Observatory and Their Extensions with the Greenwich Sunspot Data
The primary task of the Debrecen Heliophysical Observatory (DHO) has been the most detailed, reliable, and precise documentation of the solar photospheric activity since 1958. This long-term effort resulted in various solar catalogs based on ground-based and space-borne observations. A series of sunspot databases and on-line tools were compiled at DHO: the Debrecen Photoheliographic Data (DPD, 1974 –), the dataset based on the Michelson Doppler Imager (MDI) of the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) called SOHO/MDI-Debrecen Data (SDD, 1996 – 2010), and the dataset based on the Helioseismic and Magnetic Imager (HMI) of the Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) called SDO/HMI–Debrecen Data (HMIDD, 2010 – ). User-friendly web-presentations and on-line tools were developed to visualize and search data. As a last step of the compilation, the revised version of Greenwich Photoheliographic Results (GPR, 1874 – 1976) catalog was converted to DPD format, and a homogeneous sunspot database covering more than 140 years was created. The database of images for the GPR era was completed with the full-disc drawings of the Hungarian historical observatories Ógyalla and Kalocsa (1872 – 1919) and with the polarity drawings of Mount Wilson Observatory. We describe the main characteristics of the available data and on-line tools.
KeywordsSunspots Active regions Magnetic fields
- Gyenge, N., Korsós, M.B., Baranyi, T., Ludmány, A.: 2015, Data base and tool for studying of active region magnetic configuration and positions of solar flares. fenyi.solarobs.unideb.hu/Flares/ [Downloaded: 1 November 2015].
- Győri, L., Ludmány, A., Baranyi, T.: 2016, Comparative analysis of Debrecen sunspot catalogues. Mon. Not. Roy. Astron. Soc. (submitted) Google Scholar
- McCrea, W.H.: 1975, Royal Greenwich Observatory: An Historical Review issued on the occasion of its Tercentenary. H.M. Stationery Off., London. ADS.
- Royal Greenwich Observatory: 1874 – 1976, Greenwich Photoheliographic Results 1874 – 1976, 91. Google Scholar
- Willis, D.M., Wild, M.N., Appleby, G.M., Macdonald, G.M.: 2016, The Greenwich Photo-heliographic Results (1874 – 1885): Observing Telescopes, Photographic Processes, and Solar Images. Solar Phys. DOI.