Statistical Survey of Type III Radio Bursts at Long Wavelengths Observed by the Solar TErrestrial RElations Observatory (STEREO)/Waves Instruments: Radio Flux Density Variations with Frequency
- 343 Downloads
We have performed a statistical study of 152 Type III radio bursts observed by Solar TErrestrial RElations Observatory (STEREO)/Waves between May 2007 and February 2013. We investigated the flux density between 125 kHz and 16 MHz. Both high- and low-frequency cutoffs were observed in 60 % of events, suggesting an important role of propagation. As already reported by previous authors, we observed that the highest flux density occurs at 1 MHz on both spacecraft. We developed a simplified analytical model of the flux density as a function of radial distance and compared it with the STEREO/Waves data.
KeywordsSolar radio emissions Plasma radiation
The authors would like to thank the many individuals and institutions who contributed to making STEREO/Waves possible. J. Soucek acknowledges the support of the Czech Grant Agency grant GAP209/12/2394. O. Kruparova thanks for the support of the Czech Grant Agency grant GP13-37174P. Financial support by STFC and by the European Commission through the “Radiosun” (PEOPLE-2011-IRSES-295272) is gratefully acknowledged (E.P. Kontar). O. Santolik and V. Krupar acknowledge the support of the Czech Grant Agency grant GAP205/10/2279.
- Bale, S.D., Ullrich, R., Goetz, K., Alster, N., Cecconi, B., Dekkali, M., Lingner, N.R., Macher, W., Manning, R.E., McCauley, J., Monson, S.J., Oswald, T.H., Pulupa, M.: 2008, The electric antennas for the STEREO/WAVES experiment. Space Sci. Rev. 136, 529. 10.1007/s11214-007-9251-x. cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/abs/2008SSRv..136..529B. ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bougeret, J.L., Goetz, K., Kaiser, M.L., Bale, S.D., Kellogg, P.J., Maksimovic, M., Monge, N., Monson, S.J., Astier, P.L., Davy, S., Dekkali, M., Hinze, J.J., Manning, R.E., Aguilar-Rodriguez, E., Bonnin, X., Briand, C., Cairns, I.H., Cattell, C.A., Cecconi, B., Eastwood, J., Ergun, R.E., Fainberg, J., Hoang, S., Huttunen, K.E.J., Krucker, S., Lecacheux, A., MacDowall, R.J., Macher, W., Mangeney, A., Meetre, C.A., Moussas, X., Nguyen, Q.N., Oswald, T.H., Pulupa, M., Reiner, M.J., Robinson, P.A., Rucker, H., Salem, C., Santolik, O., Silvis, J.M., Ullrich, R., Zarka, P., Zouganelis, I.: 2008, S/WAVES: the radio and plasma wave investigation on the STEREO mission. Space Sci. Rev. 136, 487. 10.1007/s11214-007-9298-8. cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/abs/2008SSRv..136..487B. ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Drummond, W., Pines, D.: 1962, Non-linear stability of plasma oscillations. Nuclear Fusion 3, 1049. Google Scholar
- Krupar, V., Maksimovic, M., Santolik, O., Cecconi, B., Kruparova, O.: 2014, Statistical survey of type III radio bursts at long wavelengths observed by the Solar TErrestrial RElations Observatory (STEREO)/Waves instruments: goniopolarimetric properties and radio source locations. Solar Phys., submitted. Google Scholar
- Vedenov, A., Velikhov, E., Sagdeev, R.: 1962, Quasi-linear theory of plasma oscillations. Nucl. Fus., 465. Google Scholar
- Zaslavsky, A., Meyer-Vernet, N., Hoang, S., Maksimovic, M., Bale, S.D.: 2011, On the antenna calibration of space radio instruments using the galactic background: general formulas and application to STEREO/WAVES. Radio Sci. 46, RS2008. 10.1029/2010RS004464. 2011RaSc...46.2008Z. ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar