Multi-Ridge Fitting for Ring-Diagram Helioseismology
Inferences of subsurface flow velocities using local domain ring-diagram helioseismology depend on measuring the frequency shifts of oscillation modes seen in acoustic power spectra. Current methods for making these measurements use maximum-likelihood fitting techniques to match a model of modal power to the spectra. The model typically describes a single oscillation mode, and each mode in a given power spectrum is fit independently. We present a new method that produces measurements with higher reliability and accuracy by fitting multiple modes simultaneously. We demonstrate that this method permits measuring sub-surface flows deeper into the Sun while providing higher uniformity in data coverage and velocity response closer to the limb of the solar disk. While the previous fitting method performs better for some measurements of low phase-speed modes, we find this new method to be particularly useful for high phase-speed modes and small spatial areas.
KeywordsHelioseismology, observations Oscillations, solar Waves, modes
This work was supported by NASA through NASA grants NNX08AJ08G, NNX08AQ28G, and NNX09AB04G. The data used here are courtesy of NASA/SDO and the HMI science team. SDO is a NASA mission, and the HMI project is supported by NASA contract NAS5-02139.
- Greer, B., Hindman, B., Toomre, J.: 2013, Center-to-limb velocity systematic in ring-diagram analysis. In: Jain, K., Tripathy, S.C., Hill, F., Leibacher, J.W., Pevtsov, A.A. (eds.) CS-478, Astron. Soc. Pacific 199. 2013ASPC..478..199G.
- Harvey, J.: 1985, High-resolution helioseismology. In: Rolfe, E., Battrick, B. (eds.) Future Missions in Solar, Heliospheric & Space Plasma Physics, SP-235, ESA 199. 1985ESASP.235..199H.
- Scherrer, P.H., Schou, J., Bush, R.I., Kosovichev, A.G., Bogart, R.S., Hoeksema, J.T., Liu, Y., Duvall, T.L., Zhao, J., Title, A.M., Schrijver, C.J., Tarbell, T.D., Tomczyk, S.: 2012, The Helioseismic and Magnetic Imager (HMI) investigation for the Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO). Solar Phys. 275, 207. 10.1007/s11207-011-9834-2. 2012SoPh..275..207S. ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schou, J., Antia, H.M., Basu, S., Bogart, R.S., Bush, R.I., Chitre, S.M., et al.: 1998, Helioseismic studies of differential rotation in the solar envelope by the solar oscillations investigation using the Michelson Doppler Imager. Astrophys. J. 505, 390. 10.1086/306146. 1998ApJ...505..390S. ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhao, J., Nagashima, K., Bogart, R.S., Kosovichev, A.G., Duvall, T.L. Jr.: 2012, Systematic center-to-limb variation in measured helioseismic travel times and its effect on inferences of solar interior meridional flows. Astrophys. J. Lett. 749, L5. 10.1088/2041-8205/749/1/L5. 2012ApJ...749L...5Z. ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar