Post-Eruption Arcades and Interplanetary Coronal Mass Ejections
- 313 Downloads
We compare the temporal and spatial properties of posteruption arcades (PEAs) associated with coronal mass ejections (CMEs) at the Sun that end up as magnetic cloud (MC) and non-MC events in the solar wind. We investigate the length, width, area, tilt angle, and formation time of the PEAs associated with 22 MC and 29 non-MC events and we find no difference between the two populations. According to current ideas on the relation between flares and CMEs, the PEA is formed together with the CME flux-rope structure by magnetic reconnection. Our results indicate that at the Sun flux ropes form during CMEs in association with both MC and non-MC events; however, for non-MC events the flux-rope structure is not observed in the interplanetary space because of the geometry of the observation, i.e. the location of the spacecraft when the structure passes through it.
KeywordsFlares Coronal mass ejections Posteruption arcades Flux rope Magnetic cloud
We would like to thank the local organizers of the LWS CDAW meetings in San Diego, USA, and Alcalá de Henares, Spain. This research was supported by NASA grants NNX10AL50A and NNG11PL10A. SOHO is an international cooperation project between ESA and NASA.
- Brueckner, G.E., Howard, R.A., Koomen, M.J., Korendyke, C.M., Michels, D.J., Moses, J.D., Socker, D.G., Dere, K.P., Lamy, P.L., Llebaria, A., Bout, M.V., Schwenn, R., Simnett, G.M., Bedford, D.K., Eyles, C.J.: 1995, The Large Angle Spectroscopic Coronagraph (LASCO). Solar Phys. 162, 357. ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Carmichael, H.: 1964, In: Hess, W.N. (ed.) Physics of Solar Flares, NASA SP-50, 451. Google Scholar
- Gopalswamy, N., Mäkelä, P., Akiyama, S., Xie, H., Yashiro, S., Reinard, A.A.: 2013, The solar connection of enhanced heavy ion charge states in the interplanetary medium: implications for the flux-rope structure of CMEs, Solar Phys., in this issue. doi: 10.1007/s11207-012-0215-2.
- Gosling, J.T.: 1990, Coronal Mass Ejections and Magnetic Flux Ropes in Interplanetary Space, Geophys. Monogr. Ser. 58, AGU, Washington, 343. Google Scholar
- Kim, R.-S., Gopalswamy, N., Cho, K.-S., Moon, Y.-J., Yashiro, S.: 2013, Propagation characteristics of CMEs associated magnetic clouds and ejecta. Solar Phys., in this issue. doi: 10.1007/s11207-013-0230-y.
- Mäkelä, P., Gopalswamy, N., Xie, H., Mohamed, A., Akiyama, S., Yashiro, S.: 2013, Coronal hole influence on the observed structure of interplanetary CMEs. Solar Phys., in this issue. doi: 10.1007/s11207-012-0211-6.
- Xie, H., Gopalswamy, N., St. Cyr, O.C.: 2013, Near-Sun flux rope structure of CMEs. Solar Phys., in this issue. doi: 10.1007/s11207-012-0209-0.
- Yashiro, S., Gopalswamy, N.: 2009, Statistical relationship between solar flares and coronal mass ejections. In: Gopalswamy, N., Webb, D.F. (eds.) Universal Heliophysical Processes, IAU Symp. 257, Cambridge Univ. Press, London, 233. Google Scholar