The Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) Education and Outreach (E/PO) Program: Changing Perceptions One Program at a Time
We outline the context and overall philosophy for the combined Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) Education and Public Outreach (E/PO) program, present a brief overview of all SDO E/PO programs along with more detailed highlights of a few key programs, followed by a review of our results to date, conclude a summary of the successes, failures, and lessons learned, which future missions can use as a guide, while incorporating their own content to enhance the public’s knowledge and appreciation of science and technology as well as its benefit to society.
KeywordsSolar dynamics observatory Education and public outreach
- American Association for the Advancement of Science: 1993, Benchmarks for Science Literacy: Project 2061, Oxford University Press, New York. http://www.project2061.org/publications/bsl/online/index.php?txtRef=&txtURIOld=%2Ftools%2Fbenchol%2Fbolframe.html. Google Scholar
- Barman, C.R., Ostlund, K.L., Gatto, C.C., Halferty, M.: 1997, Fifth grade student’s perceptions about scientists and how they study and use science, http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~scipub/f2004/StudentPerceptions.pdf.
- Bransford, J.D., Brown, A.L., Cocking, R.R.: 1999, How People Learn: Brain, Mind, Experience, and School, National Academy Press, Washington. Google Scholar
- Christensen, A., Spann, J., St. Cyr, O.C., Cummings, A., Heelis, R., Hill, F., Immel, T., Kasper, J., Kistler, L., Kuhn, J., Reeves, G., Schwadron, S., Solomon, S., Strangeway, R., Tarbell, T.: 2009, Heliophysics: The solar and space physics of a new era, NP-2009-08-76-MSFC, Huntsville. Google Scholar
- Mayfield, A.: 2008, What is social media?, iCrossing, http://www.icrossing.co.uk/fileadmin/uploads/eBooks/What_is_Social_Media_iCrossing_ebook.pdf.
- NASA Office of Education: 2007, Strategic Coordination Framework: A Portfolio Approach, NP-2007-01-456-HQ, Washington, DC. http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/189101main_Education_Framework.pdf.
- National Science Education Standards, National Research Council: 1996, http://www.nsta.org/publications/nses.aspx.
- NRC: 2011, Committee on the Planetary Science Decadal Survey, Space Studies Board, Division on Engineering and Physical Sciences: 2011, Vision and Voyages for Planetary Science in the Decade 2013 – 2022, National Academy Press, Washington. http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=13117#toc. Google Scholar
- Quinn, H.R., Schweingruber, H.A., Feder, M.A. (eds.), Committee for the Review and Evaluation of NASA’s Precollege Education Program, National Research Council: 2008, NASA’s Elementary and Secondary Education Program, National Academy Press, Washington. http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12081.
- SMD Science Management Council: 2010, Policy and Requirements for the Education and Public Outreach Programs of SMD Missions, Science Mission Directorate Policy, SMD Policy Document SPD-18, NASA, Washington, DC. http://science.nasa.gov/media/medialibrary/2011/04/13/SPD-18_MissionEPOPolicy_TAGGED.pdf.