Multifractal Properties of Evolving Active Regions
- 177 Downloads
Magnetohydrodynamic turbulence is thought to be responsible for producing complex, multiscale magnetic field distributions in solar active regions. Here we explore the multiscale properties of a number of evolving active regions using magnetograms from the Michelson Doppler Imager (MDI) on the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO). The multifractal spectrum was obtained by using a modified box-counting method to study the relationship between magnetic-field multifractality and region evolution and activity. The initial emergence of each active region was found to be accompanied by characteristic changes in the multifractal spectrum. Specifically, the range of multifractal structures (D div) was found to increase during emergence, as was their significance or support (C div). Following this, a decrease in the range in multifractal structures occurred as the regions evolved to become large-scale, coherent structures. From the small sample considered, evidence was found for a direct relationship between the multifractal properties of the flaring regions and their flaring rate.
KeywordsActive regions Magnetic fields Turbulence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aschwanden, M.J.: 2005, Physics of the Solar Corona, Praxis, Chichester, 257. Google Scholar
- Bugayevskiy, L.M., Snyder, J.P.: 1995, Map Projections, Taylor, Philadelphia. Google Scholar
- Gallagher, P.T., McAteer, R.T.J., Young, C.A., Ireland, J., Hewett, R.J., Conlon, P.: 2007, In: Lilensten, J. (ed.) Space Weather: Research Towards Applications in Europe, Springer, Dordrecht, 15. Google Scholar
- Hewett, R.J., Gallagher, P.T., McAteer, R.T.J., Young, C.A., Ireland, J., Conlon, P.A., Maguire, K.: 2008, Solar Phys. in press. Google Scholar
- Mach, J., Mas, F.: 1997, http://www.qf.ub.es/d2/jordi/mfrac.html.
- Miesch, M.S.: 2005, Living Rev. Solar Phys. 2(1). http://solarphysics.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrsp-2005-1/.
- Parker, E.N.: 1979, Cosmical Magnetic Fields: Their Origin and Their Activity, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 43. Google Scholar
- Vlahos, L.: 2002, In: Sawaya-Lacoste, H. (ed.) SOLMAG 2002: Proceedings of the Magnetic Coupling of the Solar Atmosphere Euroconference, SP 505, ESA, Noordwijk, 105. Google Scholar