Calibration of the Soho/Lasco C3 White Light Coronagraph
- 397 Downloads
We present a detailed review of the calibration of the LASCO C3 coronagraph on the SOHO satellite. Most of the calibration has been in place since early in the mission and has been utilized to varying degrees as required by specific analysis efforts. However, using observational data from the nearly decade-long database of LASCO images, we have re-evaluated and improved many aspects of the calibration. This includes the photometric calibration, vignetting function, geometric distortion, stray light, and exposure and observation times. Using this comprehensive set of corrections we have generated and made available a set of calibrated coronal images along with a set of periodic background images to ease the accessibility and use of the LASCO database.
KeywordsObservational Data Observation Time Analysis Effort Detailed Review Specific Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Evans, J. W.: 1948, J. Opt. Soc. Am. 38, 1083Google Scholar
- Gray, D. F.: 1992, The Observation and Analysis of Stellar Photospheres, Cambridge University Press, New York, p94.Google Scholar
- Hardie, R. H.: 1962, in W. A. Hiltner (ed.), Astrophysical Techniques, Stars and Stellar Systems, Vol. II, University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 178.Google Scholar
- Janesick, J. R.: 2001, Scientific Charge-Coupled Devices, SPIE Press, Bellingham, Washington.Google Scholar
- Lee, X., Zhang, Y.-Q., and Leon-Garcia, A.: 1995, IEEE Trans. Imag. Proc. 4, 3.Google Scholar
- Llebaria, A. and Thernisien, A.: 2001, in J.-L. Starck and F.D. Murtagh (eds.), Astronomical Data Analysis, Proc. SPIE 4477, 265.Google Scholar
- Moran, T. G., Davila, J. M., Morrill, J. S., Wang, D., and Howard, R. A.: in Press, Solar Phys.Google Scholar
- Purcell, J. D. and Koomen, M. J.: 1962, Report of NRL Progress, September Issue.Google Scholar
- Smith, W. J.: 2000, Modern Optical Engineering, 3rd edn., McGraw Hill, New York, 143.Google Scholar
- Thernisien, A. F., Morrill, J. S., Howard, R. A., and Wang, D.: in press, Solar Phys.Google Scholar
- White, R. L. and Percival, J. W.: 1994, in L. M. Stepp (ed.), Advanced Technology Optical Telescopes V., Proc. SPIE 2194, 703.Google Scholar