The Periodicity of High-Latitude Solar Activity
- 89 Downloads
The periodicity of high-latitude solar activity has been studied with the use of the Carte Synoptique solar filaments archive. The Morlet wavelet is utilized to analyze the periodicity of the number of solar filaments at latitudes over 50° during Carrington solar rotations 876 – 1823. For solar filaments at latitudes over 50°, the most eminent periods are about 10.23 and 10.90 years, which correspond to the Schwabe period of high-latitude solar activity, and the these periods make-up a highly significant proportion of the time span considered. The periods of 1.3 and 1.7 years and the quasi-biennial 2 – 3-year oscillation often mentioned in the literature are not found to be a feature of every solar cycle but seem to appear only from time to time.
KeywordsSolar Activity Solar Cycle Solar Phys Solar Rotation Morlet Wavelet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bumba, V.: 2003, in Proceedings of ISCS 2003 Symposium, Solar Variability as an Input to the Earth's Environment, Tatranska Lomnica, Slovakia, ESA SP-535, p. 23.Google Scholar
- Howe, R., Christensen-Dalsgaard, J., Hill, F., Komm, R.W., Larsen, R.M., Schou, J., et al.: 2000, Science 287, 2456.Google Scholar
- Kane, P.R.: 2003, J. Geophys. Res. 108(A1), 1046.Google Scholar
- Kato, C., Munakata, K., Yasue, S., Inoue, K., and McDonald, F.B.: 2003, J. Geophys. Res. 108(A10), 1367.Google Scholar
- Knaack, R. and Stenflo, J.O.: 2004, in A.K. Dupree and A.O. Benz (eds.), Large-Scale Solar Magnetic Fields: Temporal Variations, Syars and Suns: Activity, Evolution and Planets, IAU Symp. 219, 552.Google Scholar
- Kononovich, E.V. and Shefov, N.N.: 2002, in Proceedings of XXV Annual Seminar, Apatity, Kola Science Center, 143, Polar Geophysical Institute, Russian Academy of Science, p. 143.Google Scholar
- Leighton, R.B.: Astrophys. J. 156, 1.Google Scholar
- Li, K.J. and Li, Q.X.: 2006, Adv. Space Res., submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- Li, K.J., Irie, M., Wang, J., Xiong, S., Yun, H., Liang, H., et al.: 2002a, Publ. Astron. Soc. Jpn. 54, 787.Google Scholar