Spatial Change in the Concentration of Multidimensional Poverty in Gauteng, South Africa: Evidence from Quality of Life Survey Data
- 59 Downloads
The multidimensional poverty index (MPI) is generally credited for better capturing the various components of poverty. Where such indexes have a spatial component, opportunity arises for analyzing changes in the spatial concentration of multidimensional poverty over given periods across space. Using current available MPI data for Gauteng province, South Africa, we apply spatial statistical analysis techniques to measure the degree of spatial concentration, spread and orientation of poverty across the various wards. Results reveal distinct variations in concentration, spatial spread and orientation of poverty across the province. These results open up possibilities of spatially targeted state interventions for reducing poverty.
KeywordsMultidimensional poverty index Quality of Life Gauteng Standard deviational ellipse Spatial autocorrelation South Africa
This work benefited from comments from colleagues in the GCRO in particular the QoL team that worked on the data.
- Anselin, L. (1996). The Moran scatterplot as an ESDA tool to assess local instability in spatial association. In M. Fischer, H. J. Scholten & D. Unwin (Eds.), Spatial analytical perspectives on GIS in environmental and socioeconomic sciences (pp. 111–125). London: Taylor and Francis.Google Scholar
- Cliff, A. D., & Ord, J. K. (1981). Spatial processes: Models & applications. London: Taylor & Francis.Google Scholar
- David, A., Guilbert, N., Hamaguchi, N., Higashi, Y., Hino, H., Leibbrant, M., et al. (2018). Spatial poverty and inequality in South Africa: A municipality level analysis. AFD Research Papers Series, No. 2018-66, January.Google Scholar
- Epprecht, M., Minot, N., Dewina, R., Messerli, P., & Heinimann, A. (2008). The geography of poverty and inequality in the Lao PDR. Bern: Geographica Bernensia.Google Scholar
- GCRO QoL. (2015). Quality of Life survey. http://www.gcro.ac.za/research/project/detail/quality-of-life-survey-iv-2015/. Accessed June 06, 2018.
- Kwenda, P., & Benhura, M. (2018). Poverty and inequality in the GCR: Inequalities in the GCR labour market. GCRO Research Report, Johannesburg.Google Scholar
- Moran, P. A. (1948). The interpretation of statistical maps. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series B (Methodological), 10, 243–251.Google Scholar
- Parilla, J., & Trujillo, J. L. (2015). South Africa’s global gateway: Profiling the Gauteng City-Region’s international competitiveness and connections. Global Cities Initiative, a Joint Project of Brookings and J P Morgan Chase.Google Scholar
- StatsSA. (2014). The South African MPI, Creating a multidimensional poverty index using census data. http://www.statssa.gov.za/publications/Report-03-10-08/Report-03-10-082014.pdf. Accessed October 04, 2017.
- StatsSA. (2017). Poverty Trends in South Africa, An examination of absolute poverty between 2006 and 2015. http://www.statssa.gov.za/publications/Report-03-10-06/Report-03-10-062015.pdf. Accessed October 04, 2017.
- Tseng, D. (2018). Poverty and inequality in the GCR: Income and expenditure analysis. GCRO Research Report, Johannesburg.Google Scholar