Letter to the editor: Are indicators telling us the real story about progress?
Closing the Gap Between the Science and Politics of Progress: Science’s Greatest Challenge
- 108 Downloads
Global politics is based on an outmoded and increasingly destructive model of human progress and development. Can science change a dire situation?
KeywordsDevelopment Modernisation Politics Progress Quality of life Sustainability
- Andersen, K. (2017). How America lost its mind. Atlantic. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/how-america-lost-its-mind/534231/. Accessed January 20, 2018.
- BBC. (2016). Inside Obama’s White House. Documentary series. Brook Lapping Productions in association with Les Films D’Ici 2 for the BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b074g0gt/episodes/guide. Accessed April 14, 2017.
- Bernstein, L., & Ingraham, C. (2017). Fueled by drug crisis, US life expectancy declines for a second straight year. Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/fueled-by-drug-crisis-us-life-expectancy-declines-for-a-second-straight-year/2017/12/20/2e3f8dea-e596-11e7-ab50-621fe0588340_story.html?utm_term=.ec41c710cc66. Accessed January 1, 2018.
- Carr, T. (2017). Too many meds? America’s love affair with prescription medication. Consumer Reports. https://www.consumerreports.org/prescription-drugs/too-many-meds-americas-love-affair-with-prescription-medication/. Accessed January 1, 2018.
- Edelman Intelligence. (2017). Edelman trust barometer: 2017 annual global study. Executive summary. http://www.edelman.com/trust2017/. Accessed June 25, 2017.
- Frank, T. (2017). The media’s war on Trump is destined to fail. Why can’t it see that? Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/21/media-war-trump-destined-fail. Accessed July 21, 2018.
- Harwood Group. (1995). Yearning for balance: Views of Americans on consumption, materialism, and the environment. Prepared for the Merck Family Fund. http://enb.iisd.org/consume/harwood.html. Accessed April 14, 2017.
- Hatfield-Dodds, S., Schandl, H., Newth, D., Obersteiner, M., Cai, Y., Baynes, T., et al. (2017). Assessing global resource use and greenhouse gas emissions to 2050, with ambitious resource efficiency and climate mitigation policies. Journal of Cleaner Production. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clepro.2016.12.170.Google Scholar
- Helliwell, J. F., Layard, R., & Sachs, J. (Eds.) (2013). World happiness report 2013. New York: UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network. http://worldhappiness.report/ed/2013/. Accessed June 25, 2017.
- Ipsos MORI. (2017). Global study shows potential for more political uncertainty ahead. https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/global-study-shows-potential-more-political-uncertainty-ahead. Accessed June 25, 2017.
- Katz. (2017). Drug deaths in America are rising faster than ever. New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/05/upshot/opioid-epidemic-drug-overdose-deaths-are-rising-faster-than-ever.html?. Accessed June 24, 2017.
- Kuhn, T. (1970). The structure of scientific revolutions (2nd ed.). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Michaels, D. (2008). Doubt is their product: How industry’s assault on science threatens your health. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Oreskes, N., & Conway, E. M. (2010). Merchants of doubt: How a handful of scientists obscured the truth on issues from tobacco smoke to global warming. London: Bloomsbury Press.Google Scholar
- Pew Research Center. (2017). Worldwide, people divided on whether life today is better than in the past. http://www.pewglobal.org/2017/12/05/worldwide-people-divided-on-whether-life-today-is-better-than-in-the-past/. Accessed January 21, 2018.
- Sifferlin, A. (2017). 13% of Americans take antidepressants. Time. http://time.com/4900248/antidepressants-depression-more-common/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+time%2Ftopstories+%28TIME%3A+Top+Stories%29. Accessed January 1, 2018.
- Solón, P. (compiler). (2017). Systemic alternatives. La Paz: Fundación Solón; Paris: Attac France; Bangkok: Focus on the Global South. https://systemicalternatives.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/sa-final-ingles-pdf2.pdf.
- Twenge, J. M., Honeycutt, N., Prislin, R., & Sherman, R. A. (2016). More polarized but more independent: Political party identification and ideological self-categorization among US adults, college students, and late adolescents, 1970–2015. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167216660058.Google Scholar
- UNDP (United Nations Development Programme). (2014). About human development. http://hdr.undp.org/en/humandev/. Accessed December 2, 2014.
- Wight. C. (2017). A Robert De Niro theory of post-truth: Are you talking to me? Conversation. http://theconversation.com/a-robert-de-niro-theory-of-post-truth-are-you-talking-to-me-87606. Accessed January 20, 2018.
© Springer Science+Business Media B.V., part of Springer Nature 2018