Measuring Hope in the Philippines: Validating the Short Version of the Locus-of-Hope Scale in Filipino
- 438 Downloads
A short version of the locus-of-hope Scale was developed and translated into the Filipino language for the purpose of assessing hope in Filipinos who have lower levels of education and who may not have adequate levels of proficiency in English. The 20-item scale had four locus-of-hope subscales (internal, external-family, external-peers, and external-spiritual) each with four items (another four were filler items); all items described thoughts associated with some capacity and strategy to attain important goals in life. A sample (N = 362) of adults from communities in Metro Manila were asked to answer the scale, as well as measures of optimism, self-esteem, and life satisfaction. Confirmatory factor analysis indicated an adequate fit between the hypothesized four-factor structure and the data, but the internal locus-of-hope scale was found to have low internal consistency. Regression analysis showed positive associations between the internal and external-family locus-of-hope subscales and the three measures of wellbeing. But external-peers locus-of-hope was negatively associated with optimism and self-esteem, and external-spiritual locus-of-hope was positively related with optimism.
KeywordsHope Locus-of-hope Optimism Self-esteem Life-satisfaction Wellbeing Filipinos
This research was supported by a grant from the Research Development and Administration Office of the University of Macau (Project Reference No.: SRG014-FSH13-ABIB).
- Bond, M. H. (Ed.). (2009). The psychology of the Chinese people. Hong Kong: The Chinese University Press.Google Scholar
- Carver, C. S., & Scheier, M. F. (1999). Optimism. In C. R. Snyder (Ed.), Coping: The psychology of what works (pp. 182–204). Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- EdVisions Schools (2013). The hope survey. Retrieved from: http://www.hopesurvey.org/about-the-hope-survey. Henderson, MN: EdVisions Schools.
- Gallup and Operation Hope (2013). The 2012 Gallup-hope index. Retrieved from http://www.gallup.com/strategicconsulting/159902/2012-gallup-hope-index.aspx. New York: Gallup.
- Hewitt, J. P. (1998). The myth of self-esteem: Finding happiness and solving problems in America. New York: St. Martin’s Press.Google Scholar
- Hobfoll, S. E., Watson, P., Bell, C. C., Bryant, R. A., Brymer, M. J., Friedman, M. J., et al. (2007). Five essential elements of immediate and mid-term mass trauma intervention: Empirical evidence. Psychiatry: Interpersonal and Biological Processes, 70, 283–315.Google Scholar
- Lowles, N., & Painter, A. (2013). Fear and hope: The new politics of identity. Retrieved from http://www.fearandhope.org.uk/project-report/. London: Searchlight Educational Trust.
- Markus, H. R., & Kitayama, S. (2003). Models of agency: Sociocultural diversity in the construction of action. In V. Murphy-Berman & J. J. Berman (Eds.), Cross-cultural differences in perspectives on the self (pp. 1–57). Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press.Google Scholar
- Miller, J. G. (2003). Culture and agency: Implications for psychological theories of motivation and social development. In V. Murphy-Berman & J. J. Berman (Eds.), Cross-cultural differences in perspectives on the self (pp. 59–99). Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press.Google Scholar
- Newell, R. J., & Van Ryzin, M. (2009). Assessing what really matters in schools: Creating hope for the future. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield.Google Scholar
- Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Snyder, C. R. (1994). The psychology of hope. New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Snyder, C. R., Lopez, S. J., & Pedrotti, J. T. (2010). Positive psychology: The scientific and practical explorations of human strengths (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- WIN-Gallup International Association (2012). Global barometer of hope and happiness at year end 2012. Retrieved from http://www.wingia.com/en/news/end_of_year_survey_global_barometer_of_hope_and_happiness_2013/38.