Meshless BEM and overlapping Schwarz preconditioners for exterior problems on spheroids
- 74 Downloads
We consider the exterior Neumann problem of the Laplacian with boundary condition on spheroids. We propose to use spherical radial basis functions in the solution of the boundary integral equation arising from the Dirichlet-to-Neumann map. Our meshless approach with radial basis functions is particularly suitable for handling scattered satellite data. We also propose a preconditioning technique based on an overlapping domain decomposition method to deal with ill-conditioned matrices arising from the approximation problem.
Keywordsboundary integral equations meshless methods spheroids overlapping Schwarz domain decomposition
- Costea A., Le Gia Q.T., Tran T. and Stephan E.P., 2011. Solution to the Neumann problem exterior to an oblate spheroid by radial basis functions. IfAM preprint No.94, ftp://ftp.ifam.unihannover.de/pub/preprints/.
- Freeden W., Gervens T. and Schreiner M., 1998. Constructive Approximation on the Sphere with Applications to Geomathematics. Clarendon Press, Oxford University Press, Oxford and New York.Google Scholar
- Grafarend E.W., Krumm F.W. and Schwarze V., 2003. Geodesy — the Challenge of the 3rd Millennium. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany.Google Scholar
- Huang H. and Yu D., 2009. The ellipsoid artificial boundary method for threedimensional unbounded domains. J. Comput. Math., 27, 196–214.Google Scholar
- Matérn, B. 1986. Spatial Variation, Second Ed. Lecture Notes in Statistics 36, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany.Google Scholar
- Wendland H., 2005. Scattered Data Approximation. Cambridge Monographs on Applied and Computational Mathematics 17. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K.Google Scholar