Who’s Your Daddy?
- 108 Downloads
This paper provides a brief explanation and illustration of the phenomenon of semiotics. It then describes the conceptual tools of semiotics and how lawyers can use semiotics in law to create compelling arguments. Last, the paper applies the tools of semiotics to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court case Ferguson v. McKiernan, 940 A.2d 1236 (Pa. 2008), to reveal the shift in social context that made the lines of legal reasoning behind the outcome appear “self-evident.”
KeywordsSperm Donor Social Discourse United States Supreme Sperm Bank Support Obligation
I have been privileged to experience Professor Jan Broekman’s unwavering dedication that students partake in what becomes possible when one fully comprehends the phenomenon of semiotics. Thank you to Professors Broekamn, William Pencak and Jay Mootz for their enthusiasm for teaching, their encouragement and invaluable feedback.
- 1.Heller, Erich. 1971. The disinherited mind: Essays in modern German literature and thought. Cambridge: Bowes & Bowes.Google Scholar
- 2.Ferguson v. McKiernan, 940 A.2d 1236 (Pa. 2008).Google Scholar
- 3.Chandler, Daniel. 2001. Semiotics for beginners. www.aber.ac.uk/media/Documents/S4B/sem01.html. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 4.Unattributed. 2005. Chicken or the egg. Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken-and-egg_problem. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 5.White, James Boyd. 1990. Justice as translation. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- 6.Balkin, J.M. 1986. The Hohfeldian approach to law and semiotics. University of Miami Law Review 44: 1119–1136.Google Scholar
- 7.Constitutional Convention. 1787. The United States Constitution. http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html. Accessed 17 November 2008.
- 8.O’Conner, Sandra Day. 2003. Liberty medal acceptance speech. National Constitution Center. http://constitutioncenter.org/libertymedal/recipient_2003_speech.html. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 9.Barry, Mary Frances. 1999. The pig farmer’s daughter. New York: Random House/Knopf.Google Scholar
- 10.Plessy v. Fergusen. 1896. 163 U.S. 537.Google Scholar
- 11.Brown v. Board of Education. 1954. 347 U.S. 483.Google Scholar
- 12.Unattributed. Timeline: Civil Rights Era. 1954–1971. PBS/African American World. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/aaworld/timeline/civil_01.html. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 13.Harper, Douglas. 2001. Negro. Dictionary.com/Online Etymology Dictionary. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/negro. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 14.Gould, Stephen Jay. 1997. Full house. New York: Three Rivers Press.Google Scholar
- 15.Johnson v. Superior Court of Los Angeles County, 80 Cal. App. 4th 1050.Google Scholar
- 16.Unattributed. 2005. Sperm anonymity ends. BBC News. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4397249.stm. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 17.Unattributed. 2003. Home page. Pittsburgh Cryobank, Inc. http://www.pittsburghcryobank.com/index.html/. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 18.Woolf, Marie. 2006. Sperm. The Independent. www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ban-on-the-sale-of-fresh-sperm-over-the-internet-413563.html. Accessed 17 November 2008.
- 19.Miller, Patricia G. 1993. The worst of times. New York: Aaron Asher Books/HarperCollins Publishers.Google Scholar
- 20.Miller, Patricia G. 1993. The worst of times—underground abortions: A patient, doctor, abortionist, and detective tell their stories. Psychology Today. http://psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-19930501-000030.html. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 21.Unattributed. 2005. Sperm donor anonymity ends. BBC News. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4397249.stm. Accessed 18 April 2008.
- 22.Unattributed. 1997–2008. Identigene® DNA Testing Center. http://www.dnatesting.com/paternity/stores.php. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 23.Fass, Sarah, and Nancy K. Cauthen. 1997. Who are America’s poor children? National Center for Children in Poverty at Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health. http://www.nccp.org/publications/pub_787.html. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 24.Dyer, Clare. 2003. Egg or sperm donation children will be entitled to more information. BMJ (British Medical Journal). http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/326/7383/240/a. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 25.Kesler v. Weniger, 744 A.2d 794 (Pa. Super. 2000).Google Scholar
- 26.Wells, Michael L., and Thomas A. Eaton. 2002. Constitutional remedies. Westport: Greenwood Publishing Group.Google Scholar
- 27.West Publishing Co. 1914. Judicial and statutory definitions of words and phrases. St. Paul: West Publishing.Google Scholar
- 28.Rains, Robert E. 2008. What the Erie “surrogate triplets” can teach state legislatures about the need to enact Article 8 of the Uniform Parentage Act (2000). Cleveland State Law Review 56(1): 2–33.Google Scholar
- 29.Beatie, Thomas. 2008. Labor of love: Is society ready for this pregnant husband? The Advocate. http://www.advocate.com/issue_story_ektid52664.asp. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 30.Bone, James. 2008. Pregnant man Thomas Beatie gives birth to baby girl. Times Online. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article4265368.ece. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 31.Reuters. 1998. In vitro fertilization results in Chimera. Personal MD. http://www.personalmd.com/news/a1998011413.shtml. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 32.Weil, Elizabeth. 2006. What if it’s (sort of) a boy and (sort of) a girl? The New York Times Magazine. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/magazine/24intersexkids.html. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 33.Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. 2007. [United States of America] National Institutes of Health. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/klinefelter_syndrome.cfm. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 34.Unattributed. 2008. Welcome to KS&A. Kleinfelter Syndrome & Associates, Inc. http://www.genetic.org/. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 35.Connor, Steve. 2008. Now we have the technology that can make a cloned child. The Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/now-we-have-the-technology-that-can-make-a-cloned-child-808625.html. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 36.Jacob v. Schultz-Jacob, 923 A.2d 473 (Pa. Super. 2007).Google Scholar
- 37.Department of Health, Human Tissues and Embryos Bill Team. 2007. Human tissues and embryos (draft) bill [United Kingdom]. Department of Health. http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsLegislation/DH_074718. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 38.Unattributed. 2008. Snowflakesfacts.pdf. Nightlight Christian Adoptions. http://www.nightlight.org/snowflakeadoption.htm. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 39.Duncan, David Ewing. 2007. Are Chimeras people too? Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Technology Review. http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/duncan/17632/. Accessed 15 August 2008.
- 40.Duncan, David Ewing. 2007. Can centaurs and talking pigs be far behind? Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Technology Review. http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/duncan/17608/. Accessed 15 August 2008.