Article processing charge (APC) for publishing open access articles: the Brazilian scenario
The article processing charge (APC) provides economic sustainability for scientific journals that publish in open access (OA). In this work, documents published in OA between 2012 and 2016 by authors with Brazilian affiliation are identified, the profile of these publications is analyzed and the cost of APC is estimated. In order to do so, data from 930 journals and 63,847 documents were collected from the Web of Science Core Collection. It was found that 59% of these documents were published in journals that charge APC. The total expenditures for the 5-year period were estimated at approximately USD 36 million, the weighted average cost per document at USD 957.75 and the average cost per journal at USD 1492.27. The profile of these publications shows that journals indexed by SciELO represent 67% of the 63,847 documents. The use of mega-journals increased over the period, which implies an increase in expenditure in publications, since the average APC per journal was USD 2059.77. It was observed that the OA Brazilian scientific production is characterized by an endogenic profile and has a preference for the Gold road with APC. These results suggest that policies for funding charges are required to stimulate a more international attitude.
KeywordsArticle processing charge Open access Public funding Scientific journal
Mathematics Subject Classification00A99
- Alperin, J. P., & Fischman, G. E. (2015). Scientific journals made in Latin America. In J. P. Alperin & G. E. Fischman (Eds.), Made in Latin American: open access, scholarly journals, and regional innovations (pp. 103–112). Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires: CLACSO. http://biblioteca.clacso.edu.ar/clacso/se/20150921045253/MadeInLatinAmerica.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2017.
- Archambault, E., et al. (2014). Proportion of open access papers published in peer-reviewed journals at the European and world levels—1996–2013. [S.l]: European Commission. http://science-metrix.com/en/publications/reports/proportion-of-open-access-papers-published-in-peer-reviewed-journals-at-the. Accessed 14 October 2017.
- Björk, B.-C. & Solomon, D. (2014). Development an effective market for open access article processing charge. London: Welcome Trust. https://wellcome.ac.uk/sites/default/files/developing-effective-market-for-open-access-article-processing-charges-mar14.pdf. Accessed 28 Septrmber 2017.
- CAPES. (2017a). Notícias. Conselho Consultivo do PAAP se reúne na CAPES para debater temas importantes. http://www.periodicos.capes.gov.br/?option=com_pnews&component=NewsShow&view=pnewsnewsshow&cid=533&mn=0. Accessed 20 August 2017.
- CAPES. (2017b). Relatório de gestão do exercício de 2016. Brasília, 2017. http://www.capes.gov.br/images/stories/download/acessoainformacao/Relatorio_de_Gestao_CAPES_2016.pdf. Accessed 20 August 2017.
- Clarivate Analytics. (2017). Source publication list for Web of Science. http://ip-science.thomsonreuters.com/mjl/. Accessed 24 June 2017.
- CNPq. (2017). Painel de investimentos. Brasília, 2017. http://www.cnpq.br/painel-de-investimentos. Accessed 22 August 2017.
- Crawford, W. (2017). GOAJ2: Golden open access journals 2011–2016. Livermore: Cites & Insights Books. https://waltcrawford.name/goaj2.pdf. Accessed 03 October 2017.
- Dallmeier-Tiessen, S., et al. (2011). The SOAP symposium—III Open access publishing today: What scientists do and why. SOAP symposium, January 13th, 2011, Berlin. http://edoc.mpg.de/524968. Accessed 22 June 2017.
- Directory of Open Access Journals. (2017). Directory of open access journals. https://doaj.org/search. Accessed 10 May 2017.
- Leta, J., Costa, E. H. S., & Mena-Chalco, J. P. (2017). Artigos em periódicos de acesso aberto: um estudo com pesquisadores bolsistas de produtividade do CNPq. RECIIS-Revista Eletrônica de Comunicação, Informação e Inovação em Saúde, 11(supl), 6.Google Scholar
- Mueller, S. P. M. (2011). Produção e financiamento de periódicos científicos de acesso aberto: um estudo na base SciELO. In: D. A. Plobación et al. (Org.), Revistas Científicas: dos processos tradicionais às perspectivas alternativas de comunicação (pp. 201–230). Cotia: Ateliê Editorial.Google Scholar
- Packer, A. L., & Meneghini, R. (2014). O SciELO aos 15 anos: raison d’être, avanços e desafios para o futuro. In A. L. Packer et al. (Org.), SciELO – 15 anos de Acesso Aberto: um estudo analítico sobre acesso aberto e comunicação científica (pp. 15-28). Paris: UNESCO. https://doi.org/10.7476/9789237012376.
- Packer, A. L., Santos, S., & Meneghini, R. (2017). SciELO Preprints a caminho. SciELO em Perspectiva. http://blog.scielo.org/blog/2017/02/22/scielo-preprints-a-caminho/. Accessed 30 October 2017.
- Research Councils UK. (2016). RCUK open access block grant analysis 2013/14, 2014/2015 and 2015/2016. http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/documents/oadocs/rcukapcreturnsanalysis2014-16-pdf/. Accessed 10 August 2017.
- Suber, P. (2012). Open access. Cambridge: MIT.Google Scholar
- Welcome Trust Blog. (2015). The reckoning: An analysis of Welcome Trust open access spend 2013–14. https://blog.wellcome.ac.uk/2015/03/03/the-reckoning-an-analysis-of-wellcome-trust-open-access-spend-2013-14/. Accessed 6 June 2018.