A comparative analysis of global and national university ranking systems
- 1.4k Downloads
Recent interest towards university rankings has led to the development of several ranking systems at national and global levels. Global ranking systems tend to rely on internationally accessible bibliometric databases and reputation surveys to develop league tables at a global level. Given their access and in-depth knowledge about local institutions, national ranking systems tend to include a more comprehensive set of indicators. The purpose of this study is to conduct a systematic comparison of national and global university ranking systems in terms of their indicators, coverage and ranking results. Our findings indicate that national rankings tend to include a larger number of indicators that primarily focus on educational and institutional parameters, whereas global ranking systems tend to have fewer indicators mainly focusing on research performance. Rank similarity analysis between national rankings and global rankings filtered for each country suggest that with the exception of a few instances global rankings do not strongly predict the national rankings.
KeywordsNational university rankings Global university rankings Higher education Rank similarity
- ARWU. (2011). Greater China ranking. http://www.shanghairanking.com/Greater_China_Ranking/Greater_China_Ranking2011.html. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- ARWU. (2012a). Macedonian higher education institutions ranking. http://www.shanghairanking.com/Macedonian_HEIs_Ranking. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- ARWU. (2012b). Academic ranking of world universities. http://www.shanghairanking.com/. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- Centre for Science and Technology Studies. (2012). The Leiden ranking. http://www.leidenranking.com/. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- Cybermetrics Lab. (2012). Webometrics ranking of world universities. http://www.webometrics.info. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- El Mercurio. (2012). Ranking de Calidad en la Docencia de Pregrado. http://rankinguniversidades.emol.com/category/rankings/2012/. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- Folha. (2012). Ranking Universitaro Folha. http://ruf.folha.uol.com.br/2012/. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- Higher Education Commission of Pakistan. (2010). Quality and research based ranking of Pakistani HEIs. http://www.hec.gov.pk/InsideHEC/Divisions/QALI/Others/RankingofUniversities/Pages/Introduction.aspx. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- Independent Kazakhstan Quality Assurance Agency for Education. (2011). University rankings 2011 in Kazakshtan. http://iqaa.kz/rankings/. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- Institute for Higher Education Policy (IHEP). (2007). College and university ranking systems: Global perspectives and American challenges. Washington, DC: IHEP.Google Scholar
- Malaysian Qualifications Agency. (2011). The MQA rating system for higher education institutions in Malaysia for 2011 (SETARA ‘11). http://www.mqa.gov.my/portal2012/red/en/ratings_setara11.cfm. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- National Taiwanese University. (2012). Performance ranking of scientific papers for world universities (formerly known as the HEEACT ranking). http://nturanking.lis.ntu.edu.tw. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- Nielsen, J. (1995). Card Sorting to discover the users’ model of the information space. http://www.useit.com/papers/sun/cardsort.html. Retrieved on December 10, 2013.
- Perspektywy Education Foundation. (2012). Perspektywy University ranking. http://www.perspektywy.org/. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- Quacquarelli Symonds Company. (2012). The QS world university rankings. http://www.iu.qs.com/university-rankings/. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- SCImago Research Group. (2012). SCImago global institutions rankings. http://www.scimagoir.com/. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- Sponsler, B. A. (2009). The role and relevance of rankings in higher education policymaking. Issue Brief. Institute for Higher Education Policy.Google Scholar
- The Complete University Guide. (2012). http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- Times Higher Education. (2012). The world university rankings. http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- University Ranking by Academic Performance. (2012a). URAP ranking of Turkish universities. http://tr.urapcenter.org/. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- University Ranking by Academic Performance. (2012b). URAP ranking of top 200 universities. http://www.urapcenter.org/. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- U.S. News & World Report. (2012). America’s best colleges and universities. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/. Accessed 12 June 2013.
- Veidas Magazine. (2012). Lietuvos Universitetų Reitingas 2012. http://www.veidas.lt/lietuvos-universitetu-reitingas-2012. Accessed 12 June 2013.