Internationalization of higher education institutions: implementation of DMAIC cycle
In recent decades, the topic of internationalization has emerged as one of the defining issues of higher education globally. Different approaches are emerged for the internationalization process according to universities structures and strategic plans, however, universities are still facing the problems in identification of basic steps through which transformation of higher education to internationalization is possible. This study proposed a framework for higher education in Pakistan. In order to energize the whole process towards internationalization, three-step framework utilized for the internationalization of higher education in Pakistan. Study identifies the basic dimensions for the improvements of the services and structure, which leads to internationalization of higher education in Pakistan. Study proposed the use of define, measure, analysis, improve and control cycle for continuous improvements in higher education’s institutions in Pakistan.
KeywordsInternationalization Higher education DMAIC Pakistan
- Chen, C., Huang, Y., & Lin, B. (2012). How firms innovate through R&D internationalization? An S-curve hypothesis. Research Policy, 41(9), 1544–1554.Google Scholar
- Ellingboe, B. J. (1998). Divisional strategies to internationalize a campus portrait: Results, resistance, and recommendations from a case study at a U.S. University. In J. A. Mesternhauser & B. J. Ellingboe (Eds.), Reforming the higher education curriculum: Internationalizing the campus (pp. 198–338). Phoenix, AZ: American Council on Education and Oryx Press.Google Scholar
- Globalhighered. (2010). Associations of universities and the deep internationalization agenda: Beyond the status quo? Online available at: http://globalhighered.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/associations-of-universities/. Accessed 26th July, 2014.
- Hetland, A. (2012). Internationalisation of universities. The Nations, New paper. Online line available at: http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/columns/09-Aug-2012/internationalisation-of-universities. Accessed 18th July, 2013.
- Huang, F. (2003). Internationalization of higher education in an age of globalization: A historic and comparative perspective. Education Review Peking University, 2(1), 93–98.Google Scholar
- Huang, F. (2004). Section 2: Internationalization of higher education: Discussions about its definitions. Online available at: http://www.gcn-osaka.jp/project/finalreport/1/1-2e.pdf. Accessed 27th July, 2013.
- Keller, G. (1997). Examining what works in strategic planning. In M. W. Peterson, et al. (Eds.). Planning and management for a changing environment. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Knight, J. (1999). Internationalization of higher education. In J. Knight & H. de Wit (Eds.), Quality and internationalization in higher education (pp. 13–23). Paris: OECD.Google Scholar
- Knight, J. (2004). Internationalization remodeled: Definition, approaches, and rationales. Journal of Studies in International Education, 8(1), 15–31.Google Scholar
- Kondakci, Y., Van den Broecke, H., & Devos, G. (2006). More management concepts in the academy: Internationalization as an organizational change process. Vlerick Leuven Gent Working Paper Series 2006/28.Google Scholar
- Liang, X., Wang, L., & Cui, X. (2013). Chinese private firms and internationalization: Effects of family involvement in management and family ownership. Family Business Review, March 19, 2013, 0894486513480885.Google Scholar
- Marmolejo, F. (2011). The future of higher-education internationalization. Online available at: http://chronicle.com/blogs/worldwise/defining-internationalization/28615. Accessed 16th June, 2013.
- Morris, B. J. (2009). Internationalizing the university internationalizing university: Theory, practice, organization and execution. Journal of Emerging Knowledge on Emerging Markets, 1(1), 143–151.Google Scholar
- NUST. (2013). Internationalization & global perspective. National University of Science & Technology, Islamabad, Pakistan. Online available at: http://www.nust.edu.pk/International/Pages/Internationalization-Global-Perspective.aspx. Accessed 20th July, 2013.
- Pradeepkumar, A. P., & Behr, F. J. (2009). Globalization and internationalization of education. Online available at: www.applied-geoinformatics.org/index.php/agse/conference2009/paper/viewFile/91/91. 26th July, 2013.
- Qiang, Z. (2003). Internationalization of higher education: Towards a conceptual framework. Policy Futures in Education, 1(2), 248–270.Google Scholar
- QS. (2012). Quacquarelli Symonds (QS, 2012) World Universities Rankings. Online available at: http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012. Accessed 17th July, 2013.
- Qureshi, M. I., Khan, K., Bhatti, M, N., Khan, A., & Zaman, K. (2012). Quality function deployment in higher education institutes of Pakistan. Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research, 12(8), 1111–1118.Google Scholar
- Sokovic, D. P. (2010). Quality improvement methodologies—PDCA cycle, RADAR matrix, DMAIC and DFSS. Journal of Achievenments in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering, 43(1), 476–483.Google Scholar
- The University of Tampere. (2011). Internationalization—A means to improve quality. Online available at: http://www.uta.fi/english/about/cooperation/index/Kansainv%C3%A4listymisohjelma%20210611%20EN.pdf. Accessed 11th July, 2013.
- UNDP. (2002). Human development report 2002. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar