A scientometric assessment of research output in nanoscience and nanotechnology: Pakistan perspective
In this study we present an analysis of the research trends in Pakistan in the field of nanoscience and nanotechnology. Starting with just seven publications in the year 2000, this number has steadily increased to 542 for the year 2011. Among the top 15 institutions with publications in nanotechnology 13 are universities and only two are R&D organizations. Almost 35 % of the research publications are in the field of material sciences followed by chemistry and physics in that order. The growth in the publications for period 2000–2011 is studied through relative growth rate and doubling time. The authorship pattern is measured by different collaboration parameters, like collaborative index, degree of collaboration, collaboration coefficient and modified collaboration coefficient. Finally the quality of papers is assessed by means of the h-index, g-index, hg-index and p-index.
KeywordsBibliometric Relative growth rate Degree of collaboration Nanoscience Nanotechnology
- Feynman, R. P. (1960). There’s plenty of room at the bottom. Engineering and Science, 23(5), 22–36.Google Scholar
- Kaiser, H. (2009). http://www.hkc22.com/nanobasedproducts.html.
- Karpagam, R., Gopalakrishnan, S., Natarajan, M., & Ramesh Babu, B. (2011) Mapping of nanoscience and nanotechnology research in India: a scientometric analysis, 1990–2009. Scientometrics, 89, 501–522.Google Scholar
- Lawani, S. M. (1980). Quality, collaboration and citations in cancer research: A 268 bibliometric study. Ph.D. dissertation, Florida State University.Google Scholar
- Mahapatra, M. (1985). On the validity of the theory of exponential growth of scientific literature. Proceedings of the 15 th IASLIC conference, Bangalore (pp. 61–70). Bangalore.Google Scholar
- PINSAT (2010). http://www.pinsat-idrc.org/conceptual%20framework.html.
- Research, L. (2010). http://www.luxresearchinc.com/blog/2010/02/the-recessions-impact-on-nanotechnology/.
- Roco, M. C. (2011). The long view of nanotechnology development: The national nanotechnology initiative at 10 years. Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 13, 427–445.Google Scholar
- Shahid, M. (2010, Dec, 6–9). S&T indicators of Pakistan a country report 2010 south Asian regional workshop on STI indicators Kathmandu, Nepal.Google Scholar