Mapping knowledge domains of Chinese digital library research output, 1994–2010
- 1k Downloads
The aim of this paper is to identify the research paradigms on digital libraries in China while compared with that of international digital libraries research via scientometric analysis. Co-word network constructed by keywords in documents and their co-occurrence relationships is a kind of mapping knowledge domains, which represents the cognitive and intellectual structure of science. A total of 6068 and 1250 papers published between 1994 and 2010 were, respectively retrieved from the China National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI) and ScienceDirect databases with a topic search of digital libraries or digital library in abstracts of papers. This paper uses methods of co-word analysis, social network analysis and mapping knowledge domains as theory basis, with assistance of softwares of UCINET and Netdraw, to construct the co-word network of digital libraries/library research in China, present the study status quo and evolution on digital libraries/library in China and analyze the research paradigm structure of digital libraries/library in China.
KeywordsDigital libraries/library research Co-word analysis Social network analysis Mapping knowledge domains
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)91C15
This research was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant 70873027, Natural Science Foundation of Heilongjiang Province of China under Grant G201006, Educational Commission of Heilongjinag Province Project in China under Grant 11554143, and Open Laboratory Project in Heilongjiang University in China under Grant 11K319.
- Baruque, C. B., & Melo, R. N. (2004). Developing digital libraries using data warehousing and data mining techniques. http://www.dbd.puc-rio.br/depto_informatica/04_28_baruque.pdf. Accessed 12 October 2010.
- Bawden, D., & Vilar, P. (2006). Digital libraries: To meet or manage user expectations. Aslib Proceedings: New Information Perspectives, 58(4), 346–354.Google Scholar
- Borgatti, S. P. (2002). Netdraw network visualization. Cambridge, MA: Analytic Technol.Google Scholar
- Candela, L., Castelli, D., Pagano, P., Thanos, C., Ioannidis, Y., Koutrika, G., et al. (2007). Setting the foundations of digital libraries: The delos manifesto. D-Lib Magazine, 13(3/4), http://www.dlib.org/dlib/march07/castelli/03castelli.html. Accessed 10 September 2010.
- Chen, Q. (2009). Cognitive gateway to promote interoperability, coverage and throughput in heterogeneous communication systems. Ph.D. Dissertation, in Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA.Google Scholar
- Chen, L., & Yao, X. (2010). Shared service of China academic library and information system as well as its achievements. Journal of Medical Informatics, 31(1), 11–15. (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Ding, C., Chi, C.-H., Deng, J., & Dong, C.-L. (1999). Citation retrieval in digital libraries. IEEE SMC ‘99 conference proceedings. 1999 IEEE international conference on systems, man, and cybernetics, 12–15 October (Vol. 2, pp. 105–109).Google Scholar
- Han, L., & Goulding, A. (2003). Information and reference services in the digital library. Information Services & Use, 23, 251–262.Google Scholar
- Hu, C., Hu, J., Gao, Y., & Zhang, Y. (2010). A journal co-citation analysis of library and information science in China. Scientometrics. doi:10.1007/s11192-010-0313-6.
- Huang, S., Mao, Y., & Xiong, J. (2010). Assessment of information security risk in digital libraries. New Technology of Library and Information Service, 26(7/8), 33–38. (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Jiang, Y. (2006). Information network propagating right and the fair use of libraries. Library and Information Service, 50(7), 14–17. (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Lai, L.-h., Wu, M.-d., & Hsieh, Y.-s. (2006). Towards an integrated theory of digital library success from the users’ perspective. In P. Brophy, J. Craven, & M. Markland (Eds.), Library without walls 6: Evaluating the distributed delivery of library services (pp. 178–187). London: Facet.Google Scholar
- Leydesdorff, L., Schank, T., Scharnhorst, A., & De Nooy, W. (2008). Animating the development of Social Networks over time using a dynamic extension of multidimensional scaling. http://arxiv.org/pdf/0809.4655. Accessed 8 November 2010.
- Li, W. (2003). The network information security of digital library. Library Tribune, 23(1), 54–56. (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Liu, W. (2004). The new development of digital libraries in China. Paper to international symposium on digital libraries and knowledge communities in networked information society (DLKC’04), University of Tsukuba, March 2–5 2004. http://www.kc.tsukuba.ac.jp/dlkc/e-proceedings/papers/dlkc04pp120.pdf. Accessed 7 July 2010.
- Liu, X. (2008). Policymaking oriented information services of scientific and technological libraries in China. http://lib.tkk.fi/ifla/IFLA_Science_Portals/Presentations/Liuxw.pdf. Accessed 7 July 2010.
- Liu, Z., Chen, Y., & Hou, H. (2008). Mapping knowledge domains: Methods and application (pp. 3–86). Beijing: People Publishing House. (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Lossau, N. (2004). Search engine technology and digital libraries: Libraries need to discover the academic Internet. D-Lib Magazine, 10(6). http://www.dlib.org/dlib/june04/lossau/06lossau.html.
- Ma, H., & He, Y. (2006). Serviceable analysis on the laws and regulations about present network information resource construction. Document, Information & Knowledge, 1, 9–15. (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Ma, H., & Jiang, X. (2002). On the intellectual property protection and information resources development in digital library. Journal of Academic Libraries, 3, 26–3145. (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Mao, Y., & Huang, S. (2010). On the choice of standards for information security management of digital library. Journal of Library Science in China, 36(4), 54–60. (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Marchionini, G. (1998). Digital library research and development. http://www.ils.unc.edu//digital_library_R_and_D.html. Accessed 5 September 2010.
- Nieto, M. A. M. (2003). An overview of ontologies. Technical report, http://starlab.vub.ac.be/teaching/ontologies_overview.pdf. Accessed 1 December 2010.
- Qin, K., & Li, J. (2002). Network spreading right and the copyright in digital information service in library. Journal of Pingyuan University, 19(2), 50–52. (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Rajashekar, T. B. (2006). http://www.ncsi.iisc.ernet.in/raja/is214/is214-2006-01-04/topic-1.htm. Accessed 10 June 2010.
- Rao, M. K. (2004). Digital libraries: Challenges, opportunities & implications. https://drtc.isibang.ac.in/handle/1849/174. Accessed 10 November 2010.
- Roes, H. (2001) Digital libraries and education: Trends and opportunities. D-Lib Magazine, 7(7/8). http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july01/roes/07roes.html.
- Scott, J. (2000). Social network analysis: A handbook (2nd ed.). London: Sage Publications Ltd.Google Scholar
- Stefik, M., & Lavendel, G. (1997). Libraries and digital property rights. In Research and advanced technology for digital libraries. Lecture in Computer Science (Vol. 1324, pp. 1–10). New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Vinitha, K., Kanthimathi, S., & Devi, K. T. (2006). Impact of information & communication technology on library and its services. https://drtc.isibang.ac.in/bitstream/handle/1849/228/paperU_kVinitha.pdf?sequence=1. Accessed at 8 November 2010.
- Voida, S., Mynatt, E. D., Maclntyre, B., & Corso, G. M. (2002). Integrating virtual and physical context to support knowledge workers. http://guzdial.cc.gatech.edu/ael/uploads/22/PC52%20Revised.pdf. Accessed at 10 July 2010.
- Wang, J. (2003). A knowledge network constructed by integrating classification, thesaurus, and metadata in digital library. http://www.tavanir.org.ir/km/Thesis/Latin/km24.pdf. Accessed at November 5 2010.
- Wang, Y. (2005). Library should have the right of legal license. The Journal of the Library Science in China, 3, 70–71. (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Wang, W., & Chen, L. (2010). Building the new-generation China Academic Digital Library Information System (CADLIS): A review and prospectus. D-Lib Magazine, 16(5/6). http://www.dlib.org/dlib/may10/wenqing/05wenqing.html. Accessed 8 October 2010.
- Wasserman, S., & Faust, K. (1994). Social network analysis: Methods and applications. New York: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Wei, D., & Sun, Y. (2010). The national digital library project. D-Lib Magazine, 16(5/6). http://www.dlib.org/dlib/may10/dawei/05dawei.html. Accessed 8 October 2010.
- Zhang, X. (2005). Sustainable digital library development for scientific communities, World Library and Information Congress. http://archive.ifla.org/IV/ifla71/papers/170e-Zhang-Xiaolin.pdf. Accessed 4 October 2010.
- Zhang, S., & Wu, Z. (2007). Analysis of the copyright in the construction and services of digital college library. Document, Information & Knowledge, 5, 65–69. (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Zhen, X. (2010). Overview of digital library development in China. D-Lib Magazine, 16(5/6). http://www.dlib.org/dlib/may10/zhen/05zhen.html. Accessed 8 October 2010.