A collective and abridged lexical query for delineation of nanotechnology publications
- 454 Downloads
In order to monitor articles/patents in nanotechnology, there is little agreement on a universal lexical query or even an explicit definition of nanotechnology. Here in the light of a proposed definition, a set of case studies has been conducted to remove keywords which are not exclusive to nanotechnology. This resulted in a collective and abridged lexical query (CALQ) for nanotechnology delineation. Through bibliometric quantification of already-proposed as well as the novel keywords, it was shown that all keywords included in CALQ have considerable exclusive retrieval and precision, while the removed keywords do not satisfy either of these numerical thresholds. This approach may also be applied for the future updating of CALQ.
KeywordsNanotechnology Lexical query Bibliometric study Delineation
We would like to thank Morteza Adine-nia as well as Davoud Gharailou for their useful helps and comments.
- Gopel, W. (1997). Bioelectronics and nanotechnologies. In 4th ABI-ESF workshop on biomolecular interaction, recognition and dynamics, Sitges, Spain: (pp. 723–728).Google Scholar
- ISO/TS 27687:2008, Nanotechnologies—Terminology and definitions for nano-objects, nanoparticle, nanofibre and nanoplate. http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail?csnumber=44278. Accessed 24 Oct 2010.
- Mayer, M., Persson, O., Power, Y. (2001). Excellence in nanotechnologies: Preparatory study. Nanotechnology Expert Group and Eurotech Data Google Scholar
- Morrow, K. J., Bawa, R., & Wei, C. M. (2007) Recent advances in basic and clinical nanomedicine. Medical Clinics of North America 91, 805–843.Google Scholar
- Nanotechnology. http://www.esi-topics.com/nano. Accessed 24 Oct 2010.
- Nanotechnology definition. http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/nano/reports/omb_nifty50.jsp. Accessed 24 Oct 2010.
- Nanotechnology for automotive energy. (2007). American Ceramic Society Bulletin 86, A19–A19.Google Scholar
- Noyons, E. C. M., Buter, R. K., Raan A, F. J. V., Schmoch, U., Heinze, T., Hinze, S., et al. (2003). Mapping excellence in science and technology across Europe. Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. Google Scholar
- Submission to the Royal Society Nanotechnology Study. http://www.nanotec.org.uk/evidence/65aJasonWiggins.htm. Accessed 24 Oct 2010.
- TEKES and Academy of Finland. Nanotechnology: The way to the future. Nanotechnology Programme 1997–1999, n.p.Google Scholar
- Warris, C. Nanotechnology Benchmarking Project. http://www.science.org.au/policy/nano-report.pdf. Accessed 24 Oct 2010.