Scientific publications of engineers in South Africa, 1975–2005
- First Online:
- 176 Downloads
In the production of scientific knowledge, as revealed by publication output, South Africa is at the forefront of many other countries in the developing world and in the African continent. This study examines for the first time the publication trends of South African engineering researchers for a period of 30 years since 1975. Drawing data from the ISI Web of Knowledge, this paper specifically looks at the publication patterns of engineering researchers in South Africa.
KeywordsEngineering Scientific production Collaboration South Africa
- Boshoff, N. (2009a). South–South research collaboration of countries in the Southern African Development Community (SADC). Scientometrics. doi:10.1007/s11192-009-0120-0.
- Bunt, E. A. (1977). Some highlights of engineering research in South Africa. In A. C. Brown (Ed.), A history of scientific endeavour in South Africa (pp. 427–453). Cape: Royal Society of South Africa.Google Scholar
- Inglesi, R., & Pouris, A. (2008). Where are our universities going? A review, twenty years later. South African Journal of Science, 104, 345–348.Google Scholar
- Kahn, M. (2007). Internationalization of R&D: Where does South Africa stand? South African Journal of Science, 103, 7–12.Google Scholar
- Lister, G., & Donaldson, K. (2003). New roles for industrial engineers in developing countries. South African Journal of Industrial Engineering, 15, 43–52.Google Scholar
- Mouton, J. (2000). Patterns of research collaboration in South Africa. South African Journal of Science, 96, 458–462.Google Scholar
- Philander, S. G. (2009). How many scientists does South Africa need? South African Journal of Science, 105, 172–173.Google Scholar
- Pouris, A. (2003). South Africa’s research publication record: The last ten years. South African Journal of Science, 99, 425–428.Google Scholar
- Pouris, A. (2009). Quantitative assessment of South Africa’s inventive outputs: International patent analysis. South African Journal of Industrial Engineering, 20, 13–29.Google Scholar
- Rooks, G., Oerlemans, L., Buys, A., & Pretorius, T. (2005). Industrial innovation in South Africa: A comparative study. South African Journal of Science, 101, 149–150.Google Scholar
- SAJS. (2006). Engineering the future. South African Journal of Science, 102, 506.Google Scholar