Shaping the European research collaboration in the 6th Framework Programme health thematic area through network analysis
This paper aims to analyse the collaboration network of the 6th Framework Programme of the EU, specifically the “Life sciences, genomics and biotechnology for health” thematic area. A collaboration network of 2,132 participant organizations was built and several variables were added to improve the visualization such as type of organization and nationality. Several statistical tests and structural indicators were used to uncover the main characteristic of this collaboration network. Results show that the network is constituted by a dense core of government research organizations and universities which act as large hubs that attract new partners to the network, mainly companies and non-profit organizations.
KeywordsScientometrics 6th Framework programme Research collaboration Network analysis
- Barber, M. J., Krueger, A., Krueger, T., & Roediger-Schulga, T. (2006). The network of European research and development projects. Physical Review E Statistical Nonlinear and Soft Matter Physics, 73(3), 1–13.Google Scholar
- Biotechnology Industry Organization. (2008). Technology, talent and capital: State biosciences initiatives 2008. Washington: Battelle. Retrieved October 07, 2009 http://bio.org/local/battelle2008/State_Bioscience_Initiatives_2008.pdf.
- Borgatti, S. P., Everett, M. G., & Freeman, L. C. (2002). Ucinet for windows: Software for social network analysis. Harvard, MA: Analytic Technologies.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2008). FP6 final review: Subscription, implementation, participation. Brussels: Research Directorate General. http://ec.europa.eu/research/reports/2008/pdf/fp6-final-review.pdf.
- Freeman, L. C. (1980). The gatekeeper, pair-dependency, and structural centrality. Quality and Quantity, 14, 585–592.Google Scholar
- Nooy, W., de Mrvar, A., & Batagelj, V. (2005). Exploratory social network analysis with Pajek. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- OECD. (2003). Frascati manual 2002. Paris: OECD Publishing.Google Scholar
- Roediger-Schulga, T., & Barber, M. J. (2007). R&D collaboration networks in the European framework programmes: Data processing, network construction and selected results (pp. 1–39). Maastricht: United Nation University.Google Scholar
- Roediger-Schulga, T., & Dachs, B. (2006). Does technology affect network structure? A quantitative analysis of collaborative research projects in two specific EU programmes (pp. 1–29). Maastricht: United Nation University.Google Scholar