In recent issues of the ISSI Newsletter, Egghe [2006a] proposed the g-index and Kosmulski  the h(2)-index, both claimed to be improvements on the original h-index proposed by Hirsch . The aim of this paper is to investigate the inter-relationships between these measures and also their time dependence using the stochastic publication/citation model proposed by Burrell [1992, 2007a]. We also make some tentative suggestions regarding the relative merits of these three proposed measures.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burrell, Q. L. (2006), Hirsch’s h-index: a preliminary stochastic model. Book of Abstracts: 9th International Science and Technology Indicators Conference, 7–9 September 2006, Leuven, Belgium, 26–28. Katholieke Universiteit, Leuven.Google Scholar
- Burrell, Q. L. (2007d), Hirsch’s h-index and Egghe’s g-index. Paper presented at ISSI 2007 — 11 th International Conference of the International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics. Serrano Central Campus, Spanish Research Council, Madrid, Spain, 24–28 June, 2007.Google Scholar
- Egghe, L. (2006c), Dynamic h-index: the Hirsch index in function of time. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (To appear.)Google Scholar
- Glänzel, W. (2006b), On the opportunities and limitations of the H-index. Science Focus, 1(1): 10–11. (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Hirsch, J. E. (2005), An index to quantify an individual’s scientific research output. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America,102(46): 16569–16572. (Also available in preprint form as arXiv:physica/0508113, accessible at http://xxx.arxiv.org/abs/physics/0508025.)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jin, Bh. (2006), H-index: an evaluation indicator proposed by scientist. Science Focus, 1(1): 8–9. (In Chinese.)Google Scholar
- Kosmulski, M. (2006), A new Hirsch-type index saves time and works equally well as the original h-index. ISSI Newsletter, 2(3): 4–6.Google Scholar
- Rousseau, R. (2006a), A case study: evolution of JASIS’ Hirsch index. Science Focus, 1(1): 16–17, (in Chinese). (English version available at E-LIS, code 5430.)Google Scholar
- Rousseau, R. (2006b), New developments related to the Hirsch index. Science Focus, 1(4): 23–25, (in Chinese). (English version available at E-LIS, code 6736.)Google Scholar
- Van Raan, A. J. (2006), Comparison of the Hirsch-index with standard bibliometric indicators and with peer judgment for 147 chemistry research groups. Scientometrics, 67(3): 491–502.Google Scholar