Eve-Marie Engels and Thomas F. Glick (eds): The Reception of Charles Darwin in Europe
- 158 Downloads
Charles Darwin was anxious about how his theory would be received before he even wrote the “abstract” that was eventually published as The Origin of Species in 1859. It is no surprise that there was an immediate reaction in England. However the reaction to Darwin’s theory differed from country to country. In addition, Darwin’s theory became known in several countries several years after its original publication. In many cases its reception has not been studied in a systematic way.
Consequently, in order to understand how his theory was received in Europe, it is necessary to examine each country separately and understand the respective cultural, political, and historical context. This is what the double volume work under the title The Reception of Charles Darwin in Europeaims to achieve. It is edited by Eve-Marie Engels, Professor of Ethics in the Life Sciences at the University of Tübingen, Germany, and Thomas Glick, Professor of History at Boston University, USA. Glick is well known...
- Glick, T. F. (1988). The comparative reception of Darwinism. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Krimbas, C. B. (1993) Darwinism in Greece: the first steps: the correspondence of Heldreich-Darwin, Miliarakis, Nicolaidis, Zochios, Sougras. In C. B. Krimbas (Ed.), Mirror fragments (pp. 81–108). Athens: Themelio (in Greek).Google Scholar
- Krimbas, C. B. (2009) Darwinism and its history until these days. Athens: Oceanida Publishers (in Greek).Google Scholar
- Miller, J. D., Scott, E. C., & Okamoto, S. (2006). Public acceptance of evolution. Science, 313(5788), 765–766.Google Scholar
- Numbers, R. (2009). That creationism is a uniquely American phenomenon. In R. Numbers (Ed.), Galileo goes to jail, and other myths about science and religion (pp. 215–223). Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- PACE (Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe). (2007). The dangers of creationism in education. Text adopted by the Assembly on 4 October 2007 (35th Sitting). Accessed on Oct 2007 http://www.assembly.coe.int/Main.asp?link=/Documents/AdoptedText/ta07/ERES1580.htm.