The advantages of formalizing networks: new evidence from Italian SMEs
- 154 Downloads
Using a large sample of Italian small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), we investigate the effect of business cooperation realized through a “network contract” on the economic performance of network members. We find that establishing a formal business network has a positive effect on a firm’s gross margin ratio and exports, but not on profits. The advantages of this type of networking are stronger in the cases of the following: smaller firms; firms operating in traditional markets; firms operating in turbulent markets; firms located in less developed areas; and firms not part of an industrial district. The characteristics of a network (such as its size, geographical dispersion, and the sectorial diversity of its members) also have an impact on firm performance.
KeywordsFormal business network SMEs Economic performance
JEL codesD22 L24 L25 M21 L26
- Bentivogli, C., Quintiliani, F., Sabbatini, D. (2013). Le reti di imprese. Banca d’Italia–QEF, n. 152. https://www.bancaditalia.it/pubblicazioni/qef/2013-0152/QEF_152.pdf.
- Colombo, E., Mangolini, L., Foresti, G. (2014). Il quarto osservatorio IntesaSanpaolo-Mediocredito sulle reti d’impresa. Intesa Sanpaolo - Servizio Studi e Ricerche.Google Scholar
- Confindustria. (2016). Reti d’impresa. L’identikit di chi si aggrega. Rome: Centro Studi Confindustria.Google Scholar
- Confindustria. (2017). Reti d’impresa. Gli effetti del contratto di rete sulla performance delle imprese. Rome: Centro Studi Confindustria.Google Scholar
- Ferrari, C. (2010). The Italian “network contract”: a new tool for the growth of enterprises within the framework of the “Small Business Act”? Brief comments on the Italian Law 9 April 2009, n. 33, art. 3, co. 4-ter. Columbia Journal of European Law Online, 16, 77–83.Google Scholar
- Nunes, S., Lopes, R., & Fuller-Love, N. (2017). Networking, innovation and firms’ performance: Portugal as an illustration. Journal of the Knowledge Economy. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13132-017-0508-7.
- OECD (2014) Italy: key issues and policies. In OECD Studies on SMEs and Entrepreneurship. OECD Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1787/9789264213951-en.
- Scagnelli, S. D., & Cisi, M. (2015). Companies’ formalized relationships: a study of the effectiveness of Italian business Network contracts. In N. Di Cagno, G. Invernizzi, A. Mechelli, & M. Ugolini (Eds.), Il ruolo dell’azienda nell’economia, Esiste un modello aziendale orientato alla crescita? (pp. 295–307). Bologna: Il Mulino.Google Scholar