Increasing Efficiency of Energy Output to an Electron Diode by Means of Auxiliary Discharge Generated by Prepulse
- 3 Downloads
This paper examines the source of submicrosecond electron beam with an explosive emission cathode, where the main voltage pulse is preceded by an additional pulse (prepulse). Prepulse with an amplitude of 60 kV and duration of 100 ns is formed by a separate capacitive storage unit, the energy storage of which constitutes 4% of energy storage of the capacitive storage unit of the main discharge circuit. Prepulse allowed reducing the diode resistance on the pulse front to single Ohm units, improving diode matching with the generator and increasing the efficiency of energy output from the low-resistance capacitive storage unit to electron beam by 17%. When amplitude of accelerating voltage pulse is 100 kV, around 65% of energy is inserted into the diode at voltage of over 50 kV. For comparison, when working without a prepulse the share of inserted energy at voltage of over 50 kV does not exceed 35% of the full energy dissipated in the diode. A distinctive feature of the source circuit is absence of the system of additional auxiliary discharge electrodes that is typical for most circuits of diodes with preliminary plasma filling.
Keywordsexplosive emission cathode high-current electron beam double pulse effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. A. Zherlitsyn, B. M. Kovalchuk, E. V. Kumpyak, et al., Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved. Fiz., 59, Issue 9/2, 123–126 (2016).Google Scholar
- 3.S. P. Bugaev, F. Ya. Zagulov, B. M. Kobal'chuk, G. A. Mesyats, Sov. Phys. J., 11, Issue 1, 89–90 (1968).Google Scholar
- 5.G. P. Bazhenov, V. P. Rotshtein, Powerful Nanosecond Pulse Sources of Accelerated Electrons [in Russian], Nauka, Novosibirsk (1974).Google Scholar
- 6.S. A. Shunailov, M. I. Yalandin, K. A. Sharypov, et al., J. Phys.: Conf. Ser., 830, 012025 (2017).Google Scholar
- 9.D. I. Proskurovskii, V. F. Puchkarev, Techn. Phys., 49, Issue 12, 2611–2618 (1979).Google Scholar
- 10.E. P. Korop, A. A. Plyutto, Techn. Phys., 41, Issue 5, 1055–1057 (1971).Google Scholar
- 11.G. P. Bazhenov, O. B. Ladyzhenskii, E. A. Litvinov, S. M. Chesnokov, Techn. Phys., 47, Issue 10, 2086–2091 (1977).Google Scholar
- 12.G. P. Bazhenov, O. B. Ladyzhenskii, S. M. Chesnokov, V. G. Shpak, Techn. Phys., 49, Issue 1, 117–124 (1979).Google Scholar
- 13.A. A. Plyutto, V. N. Ryzhov, A. T. Kapin, JETP, 4, Issue 8, 494–507 (1964).Google Scholar
- 14.A. V. Bolotov, A. V. Kozyrev, A. V. Kolesnikov, et al., Techn. Phys., 61, Issue 1, 40–46 (1991).Google Scholar