Diagnostics of 3D Scaffolds by the Method of X-Ray Phase Contrast Visualization
- 127 Downloads
Polymers are one of the most interesting classes of materials for bioengineering due to their high biocompatibility and the possibility of regulating their strength and degradation. In bioengineering, the design of a polymer scaffold determines the functional possibilities of the scaffold and its possible medical applications. Traditionally, the design of polymer scaffolds is analyzed with the help of two-dimensional visualization methods, such as optical and electron microscopy, and computer tomography. However, the x-ray region of the electromagnetic spectrum is only insignificantly absorbed by polymers and soft tissue, which means that it does not support computer tomography with sufficient contrast. The present work investigates visualization with the help of an interferometer based on the Talbot effect for three-dimensional visualization of a polymer scaffold in absorption, phase, and dark-field contrasts. A comparison of images obtained by x-ray visualization with histological sections of the scaffold is made. Phase contrast has made it possible to visualize the polymer structure and growth of soft tissues in the volume of the scaffold. In the future, it will be possible to use phase contrast for three-dimensional visualization of polymer scaffolds and soft tissues in vivo as well as in vitro.
Keywordspolymer implants phase-contrast visualization synchrotron radiation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. D. Ratner, A. S. Hoffman, F. J. Schoen, and J. E. Lemons, Biomaterials Science: an Introduction to Materials in Medicine, 2nd ed., Elsevier Academic Press, Amsterdam, Boston (2004).Google Scholar
- 2.J. Nepola, External Fixation. Rockwood and Green’s Fractures in Adults, Lippincot-Raven Publishers, Philadelphia (1996).Google Scholar
- 10.V. R. Al'tapova, A. A. Ershov, D. S. Rolot, et al., Poverkhn. Rentgen., Sinhrotr., Neitr. Issl., No. 5, 20 (2012).Google Scholar
- 13.T. Volova, Polyhydroxyalkanoates – Рlastic Materials of the 21st Century: Production, Properties, and Application, Nova Science Publishers, Hauppauge, New York (2004).Google Scholar
- 14.S. Lee, S. Park, H. Pyo, and S. Kim, Med. Biol. Eng. Comput., 2, 1066–1067 (1999).Google Scholar
- 15.G. G. Avtandilov, Diagnostic Medical Ploidometry [in Russian], Meditsina, Moscow (2006),Google Scholar
- 17.I. Khlusov, L. Zagrebin, S. Shestov, and S. Naumov, Physical-Chemical Manipulations with Microbial and Mammalian Cells: From Experiments to Clinics. Stem Cell Applications in Disease and Health, Nova Science Publishers, Hauppauge, New York (2008).Google Scholar