Genetic Control of the Wavy Shoots Character in Radish Raphanus sativus L.
The results of genetic analysis of the wavy shoots character supported the hypothesis on the existence of two genes, Wsh1 and Wsh2, whose mutations caused wavy shoots in radish lines 16 and 26, respectively. As shown by analysis of joint inheritance with marker characters, wavy shoots were inherited independently of the biochemical markers (genes Lap1, Ep, Dia1, and Aat). Gene Wsh1 was shown to be linked to genes A, ac, and ar; the mode of inheritance depended on the cross combination. In hybrids with mutant line 16, plants with novel morphological defects, which were absent in the parental forms, were detected. Possible mechanisms of new morphological abnormalities and change of linkage in the combinations analyzed are discussed.
KeywordsGenetic Analysis Biochemical Marker Genetic Control Parental Form Mutant Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Narbut, S.I., Genetic Collection of Inbred Radish Lines, Genetika (Moscow), 1966, no. 5, pp. 89–100.Google Scholar
- 2.Narbut, S.I., Voilokov, A.V., and Kirillova, G.A., Genetic Characterization of Radish Raphanus sativus var. Radicola Pers. Lines Vestn. Leningr. Univ., 1985, no. 24, pp. 85–87.Google Scholar
- 3.Kirillova, G.A. and Narsinkha Daiyal, Radish Genetics, in Genetika kul'turnykh rastenii: zernobobovye, ovoshchnye, bakhchevye (Genetics of Cultivated Plants: Grain Legumes, Vegetables, Melons), Leningrad: Agropromizdat, 1990, pp. 215–239.Google Scholar
- 5.Terent'eva, P.V. and Rostova, N.S., Praktikum po biometrii (Laboratory Works in Biometrics), Leningrad: Leningr. Gos. Univ., 1977.Google Scholar
- 6.Wehling, P., Genetische Analyse und chromosomale Lokalisation von Isoennzymloci beim Roggen, Dissertation, Hanover: Univ. of Hanover, 1986.Google Scholar
- 7.Welling, P., Inheritance, Linkage Relationship and Chromosomal Localization of the Glutamate Oxaloacetate Transaminase, Acid Phosphatase and Diaphorase Isozyme Genes in Secale cereale L., Theor. Appl. Genet., 1991, vol. 82, pp. 569–576.Google Scholar
- 8.Serebrovsky, A.S., Geneticheskii analiz (Genetic Analysis), Moscow: Nauka, 1970.Google Scholar
- 9.Buzovkina, I.S. and Lutova, L.A., Genetic, Biochemical, and Physiological Aspects of Tumorigenesis in Inbred Radish Lines, Vestn. Leningr. Univ., 1991, no. 2, pp. 102–107.Google Scholar
- 11.Kirillova, G.A. and Narbut, S.I., A Case of Translocation in Radish, Tsitol. Genet., 1979, vol. 13, no.6, pp. 452–455.Google Scholar