Rate of Generation of Ions H+ and OH− at the Ion-Exchange Membrane/Dilute Solution Interface as a Function of the Current Density
Partial currents of water dissociation products through cation- and anion-exchange membranes that form thin desalination channels in electrodialyzers are measured. The investigations are performed in a broad interval of flow rates during desalination of dilute sodium chloride solutions at overlimiting currents. A water dissociation theory, which was developed for bipolar membranes, and a mass transfer theory that allows for the space charge formation at overlimiting currents are used to derive an expression, according to which the rate of generation of the H+ and OH− ions is defined by the ratio of the current density to its critical value at which water starts undergoing discernible dissociation.
Key wordsion-exchange membrane generation of ions H+ and OH− concentration polarization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kharkats, Yu.I., Elektrokhimiya, 1985, vol. 21, p. 974.Google Scholar
- 2.Zabolotskii, V.I. and Nikonenko, V.V., Perenos ionov v membranakh (The Ion Transport in Membranes), Moscow: Nauka, 1996.Google Scholar
- 4.Zabolotskii, V.I., Shel'deshov, N.V., and Gnusin, N.P., Usp. Khim., 1988, vol. 57, p. 1403.Google Scholar
- 5.Yaroslavtsev, A.B., Nikonenko, V.V., and Zabolotskii, V.I., Usp. Khim., 2003, vol. 72, p. 438.Google Scholar
- 7.Kirganova, E.V., Timashev, S.F., and Popkov, Yu.M., Elektrokhimiya, 1983, vol. 19, p. 978.Google Scholar
- 8.Umnov, V.V., Shel'deshov, N.V., and Zabolotskii, V.I., Elektrokhimiya, 1999, vol. 35, p. 982.Google Scholar
- 9.Zabolotskii, V.I., Pis'menskaya, N.D., and Nikonenko, V.V., Elektrokhimiya, 1990, vol. 26, p. 707.Google Scholar
- 10.Nikonenko, V.V., Pis'menskaya, N.D., Yurash, K.A., and Zabolotskii, V.I., Elektrokhimiya, 1999, vol. 35, p. 56.Google Scholar
- 11.Nikonenko, V.V., Pis'menskaya, N.D., Yurash, K.A., and Zabolotskii, V.I., Elektrokhimiya, 2001, vol. 37, p. 693.Google Scholar
- 13.Urtenov, M.Kh. and Nikonenko, V.V., Elektrokhimiya, 1993, vol. 29, p. 239.Google Scholar