Apoptosis and differentiation of epidermal keratinocytes
- 145 Downloads
We compared some processes characteristic for both apoptosis and terminal differentiation of epidermal keratinocytes. It can be proposed that nonapoptotic programmed cell death takes place during differentiation of keratinocytes. Apoptosis and terminal differentiation of keratinocytes appear to be different events but some similar molecular mechanisms are involved in both processes.
Key wordskeratinocytes apoptosis differentiation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chaturvedi, V., Qin, J.-Z., Denning, M.F., et al., Apoptosis in Proliferating, Senescent, and Immortalized Keratinocytes, J. Biol. Chem., 1999, vol. 274, pp. 23 358–23 367.Google Scholar
- Chylicki, K., Ehinger, M., Svedberg, H., and Gullberg, U., Characterization of the Molecular Mechanisms for P53-Mediated Differentiation, Cell Death Differ., 2000, vol. 11, pp. 561–571.Google Scholar
- Hall, P.A., Coates, P.J., Ansari, B., and Hopwood, D., Cell Deat in Embryogenesis, Cell Death in Biology and Pathology, Lockshin, R.A. and Bowen, I.D., Eds., New York: Chapman and Hall, 1981, pp. 35–78.Google Scholar
- O’Keefe, E., Battin, T., and Payne, R.I., Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor in Human Epithelial Cells: Direct Demonstration in Cultured Cells, J. Cell Sci., 1982, vol. 78, pp. 482–488.Google Scholar
- Partridge, M., Green, M.R., Langdon, I.D., and Feldman, M., Production of TGF-α and TGF-β by Cultured Keratinocytes, Skin and Oral Squamous Cell Carcinomas—Potential Autocrine Regulation of Normal and Malignant Epithelial Cell Proliferation, Brit. J. Cancer, 1989, vol. 60, pp. 542–548.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Polakowska, R.R., Piacentini, M., Barlett, R., et al., Apoptosis in Human Skin Development: Morphogenesis, Periderm, and Stem Cells, Devel. Dyn., 1994, vol. 199, pp. 176–188.Google Scholar
- Rice, R.H., Mehrpouyan, M., Qin, Q., and Phillips, M.A., Transglutaminases in Keratinocytes, The Keratinocyte Handbook, Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press, 1994, pp. 259–274.Google Scholar