Molecular dynamics study of the structure and mechanism of formation of molecular associates in aqueous solutions of surfactants
- 52 Downloads
The process of micelle formation in an aqueous solution of the surfactant was simulated by the computer experiment. It was established by the molecular dynamics method that micelles are formed through the formation of premicellar associates of the surfactant. The practical absence of an attraction between single molecules of sodium pentadecyl sulfonate (SPDS) and premicellar associates dissolved in water was shown for a SPDS—water system. The function of the radial distribution of Na+ counterions towards polar groups of SPDS molecules in water and on the surfaces of micelles and premicellar associates was studied by the molecular dynamics method. The presence of dissociated and non-dissociated polar groups of the SPDS molecular on the micelle surface was found. The data obtained are consistent with the existence concepts on micelle formation processes.
Key wordscomputer experiment molecular dynamics micelles premicellar associates
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.K. Mori, M. Hata, S. Neya, T. Hoshino, Chem-Bio Inf. J., 2004, 4, 15.Google Scholar
- 9.J. M. Corkill, J. F. Goodman, Adv. Colloid Interface Sci., 1969, 2, 297.Google Scholar
- 10.P. Mukerjee, Adv. Colloid Iterface Sci., 1967, 1, 241.Google Scholar
- 11.C. Tenford, Hydrophobic Effect, 2nd ed., Wiley, New York, 1980.Google Scholar
- 12.E. Lindahl, B. Hess, D. van der Spoel, J. Mol. Mod., 2001, 7, 306.Google Scholar
- 14.A. W. Shuttelcopf, D. M. F. van Alten, Acta Ctystallogr., 2004, 60, 1355.Google Scholar
- 16.S. E. Feller, Y. H. Zheng, R. W. Pastor, B. R. Brooks, J. Comp. Phys., 1995, 103, 4613.Google Scholar
- 18.A. A. Shahinyan, Rol’ strukturnoi organizatsii ionnykh mitsell v mekhanizme formirovaniya makromolekul v emul’siyakh [The Role of Structural Organization of Ionic Micelles in the Mechanism of Macromolecule Formation in Emulsions], Izd-vo Akad. Nauk Arm. SSR, Yerevan, 1985, 189 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar