Size effects of PtcoreAgshell and AgcorePtshell nanoparticles on their catalytic activity in aqueous solutions
- 76 Downloads
Platinum colloids in an aqueous solution catalyze the reduction of silver ions by hydrogen to form Pt-Ag core-shell bimetallic nanoparticles. In the presence of the silver nanoparticles, PtII ions are reduced by hydrogen to form AgcorePtshell nanoparticles. The effect of the structure and composition of the nanoparticles on the ability of platinum to catalyze the one-electron reduction of methyl viologen by hydrogen in an aqueous solution was studied. For the PtcoreAgshell nanoparticles, an induction period preceding the start of the reaction was found. The thicker the silver shell on platinum, the longer the lag time of the reaction, which is probably due to a decrease in the rate of hydrogen transfer to the platinum core. For the AgcorePtshell nanoparticles, the size effect was revealed: at the shell thickness less than 1 nm (∼4 atomic layers of platinum), platinum loses the ability to catalyze the reaction. The mechanism of the catalytic process is discussed.
Key wordsnanoparticles silver platinum catalytic activity size effect reduction hydrogen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.I. P. Beletskaya, A. N. Kashin, I. A. Khotina, A. R. Khokhlov, Synlett, 2008, 1547.Google Scholar
- 4.I. P. Beletskaya, A. N. Kashin, Zh. Org. Khim., 2011, 479 [Russ. J. Org. Chem. (Engl. Transl.), 2011 47, 475].Google Scholar
- 6.B. G. Ershov, A. V. Anan’ev, N. L. Sukhov, Kolloid. Zh., 2006, 172 [Colloid. J. (Engl. Transl.), 2006 68, 148].Google Scholar
- 7.B. G. Ershov, E. V. Abkhalimov, V. V. Vysotskii, V. I. Roldugin, Kolloid. Zh., 2010, 171 [Colloid. J. (Engl. Transl.), 2010 72, 177].Google Scholar
- 8.B. G. Ershov, A. V. Anan’ev, E. V. Abkhalimov, D. I. Kochubei, V. V. Kriventsov, L. M. Plyasova, I. Yu. Molina, N. Yu. Kozitsyna, S. E. Nefedov, M. N. Vargaftik, I. I. Moiseev, Ros. Nanotekhnol., 2011, 6(5), 79 [Nanotechnologies in Russia, 2011 6, 323].Google Scholar
- 9.B. G. Ershov, E. V. Abkhalimov, A. V. Anan’ev, Dokl. Akad. Nauk, 2011, 621 [Dokl. Phys. Chem. (Engl. Transl.) 439, 142].Google Scholar
- 18.V. A. Gol’tsov, Vzaimodeistvie vodoroda s metallami [Interaction of Hydrogen with Metals], Ed. A. P. Zakharov, Nauka, Moscow, 1987, 294 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 21.M. K. Temgire, J. Bellare, S. S. Joshi, Adv. Phys. Chem., 2011, article ID 249097.Google Scholar