Synthesis and molecular structure of the cobalt(ii) chloride complex with bis(α-pyridyl)-substituted bispidinoaza-14-crown-4
- First Online:
The reaction of cobalt(ii) chloride with bis(benzo)bispidinoaza-14-crown-4 (L) containing two α-pyridyl substituents affords complex [Co(L)(H2O)][CoCl4] (1). The structure of complex 1 was determined by X-ray diffraction analysis. In structure 1, molecule L is coordinated to the neutral Co(1) atoms as an N, N, N, N-tetradentate-chelating ligand. The tetrachlorocobaltate dianion acts as a counterion. The coordination polyhedron of the Co atom in complex 1 is an octahedron, and that of the Co(2) atom in the anion is a tetrahedron. The coordination polyhedra of the Co atoms in complex 1 are linked by the bridging chlorine atom. In the octahedron of the Co(1) atom, two five-membered and two six-membered nonplanar chelate metallocycles, which are conjugated with each other along the Co(1)-N(1) and Co(1)-N(2) bonds, undergo ring closure. All bond lengths of the Co(1) atom with the N atoms range from 2.098(4) to 2.228(5) Å, and the Co(2)-Cl bond lengths change from 2.233(2) to 2.331(2) Å. The longest Co(1)-Cl(4) bond (2.558(2) Å) is that with the metal ion. A molecule of complex 1 is stabilized by strong intramolecular hydrogen bonds involving the crown ether fragment.
Key wordscobalt(ii) chloride bis(α-pyridyl)bispidinoaza-14-crown ethers coordination compound X-ray diffraction analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.P. Comba, B. Kanellakopulos, C. Katsichtis, A. Lienke, H. Pritzkow, F. Rominger, J. Chem. Soc., Dalton Trans., 1998, 3997.Google Scholar
- 4.P. Comba, S. Kuwata, G. Linti, H. Pritzkow, M. Tarnai, H. Wadepohl, Chem. Commun., 2006, 2074.Google Scholar
- 6.C. Busche, P. Comba, A. Mayboroda, H. Wadepohl, Eur. J. Inorg. Chem., 2010, 1295.Google Scholar
- 7.A. N. Levov, Le Tuan An’, A. I. Komarova, V. M. Strokina, A. T. Soldatenkov, V. N. Khrustalev, Zh. Org. Khim., 2008, 44, 457 [Russ. J. Org. Chem. (Engl. Transl.), 2008, 44, 456].Google Scholar
- 8.A. N. Levov, A. I. Komarova, A. T. Soldatenkov, G. V. Avramenko, S. A. Soldatova, V. N. Khrustalev, Zh. Org. Khim., 2008, 44, 1688 [Russ. J. Org. Chem. (Engl. Transl.), 2008, 44, 1665].Google Scholar
- 9.A. I. Komarova, A. N. Levov, A. T. Soldatenkov, S. A. Soldatova, Khim. Geterotsikl. Soedin., 2008, 784 [Chem. Heterocycl. Compd. (Engl. Transl.), 2008, 44, 624].Google Scholar
- 10.F. M. Allen, O. Kennard, D. G. Watson, L. Brammer, A. G. Orpen, R. Taylor, J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 2, 1987, S1.Google Scholar