Crown-containing butadienyl dyes 8. Structures and complexation of chromogenic dithia-15(18)-crown-5(6) ethers
The structures of new butadienyl dyes of the benzothiazole series containing the dithia-15-crown-5 (2a) or dithia-18-crown-6 (2b) fragments were established by X-ray diffraction. Complexation of dyes 2a,b with Hg2+, Pb2+, Cd2+, Ag+, Zn2+, and alkaline-earth cations in aqueous-acetonitrile solutions was studied by spectrophotometry. At a high percentage of water in solutions (Pw ≈ 50%), these dyes have a very low ability to bind Pb2+ cations (logK < 2) and virtually do not bind Cd2+, Zn2+, and alkaline-earth cations. At the same time, these dyes form stable 1: 1 complexes with Hg2+ and Ag+ cations at all Pw. The stability constants of complexes with the Ag+ cation increase with increasing Pw because the free energy of hydration of this cation is much lower than the free energy of solvation in acetonitrile. In the Pw range from 0 to 75%, the stability constants of the complexes of dyes 2a,b with the Hg2+ cation are larger than those of the corresponding complexes with the Ag+ cation by more than four orders of magnitude.
Key wordsdithiacrown ethers butadienyl dyes chromoionophores X-ray diffraction complexation stability constants mercury silver lead
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.M. Takagi, H. Nakamura, and K. Ueno, Anal. Lett., 1977, 10, 1115.Google Scholar
- 6.T. Hayashita and M. Takagi, in Comprehensive Supramolecular Chemistry, Ed. G. W. Gokel, Pergamon, Oxford, 1996, 1, p. 635.Google Scholar
- 7.S. P. Gromov, M. V. Fomina, E. N. Ushakov, I. K. Lednev, and M. V. Alfimov, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1990, 314, 1135 [Dokl. Chem., 1990, 314 (Engl. Transl.)].Google Scholar
- 8.E. N. Ushakov, S. P. Gromov, O. A. Fedorova, Yu. V. Pershina, M. V. Alfimov, F. Barigelletti, L. Flamigni, and V. Balzani, J. Phys. Chem. A, 1999, 103, 11188.Google Scholar
- 12.S. P. Gromov, O. A. Fedorova, A. I. Vedernikov, Yu. V. Fedorov, and M. V. Alfimov, Izv. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Khim., 1997, 1007 [Russ. Chem. Bull., Int. Ed., 1997, 46, 959].Google Scholar
- 15.E. N. Ushakov, S. P. Gromov, L. G. Kuz’mina, A. I. Vedernikov, V. G. Avakyan, J. A. K. Howard, and M. V. Alfimov, Izv. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Khim., 2004, 1491 [Russ. Chem. Bull., Int. Ed., 2004, 53, 1549].Google Scholar
- 21.A. I. Vedernikov and S. P. Gromov, Synthesis, 2001, 889.Google Scholar
- 22.SAINT, Version 6.02A, Bruker AXS Inc., Madison, Wisconsin (USA), 2001.Google Scholar
- 23.SHELXTL-Plus, Version 5.10, Bruker AXS Inc., Madison, Wisconsin (USA), 1997.Google Scholar