One-pot Michael addition–oxidation reaction for the synthesis of coumarin–chromene hybrid compounds from 4-hydroxycoumarin and 3-nitro-2-phenyl-2H-chromene
- 423 Downloads
An efficient and mild method for coumarin–chromene hybrid compounds involving Michael addition of 4-hydroxycoumarin with 3-nitro-2-phenyl-2H-chromene followed by aerial oxidation has been developed. Out of several bases screened for the above reaction, a few furnished the desired compounds in moderate-to good yields. Several hybrids of 4-hydroxycoumarin and 3-nitro-2-phenyl-2H-chromene were obtained following an easy-to-handle non-aqueous work-up procedure without chromatographic separation.
Keywords4-Hydroxycoumarin Michael addition Nitro chromene Oxygen heterocyclic Oxidation
Financial support from the DST to SN (fast track grant SR/FT/CS-139/2011) to SRM (fast Track grant SB/FT/CS-87/2012) and from the UGC to SN (major project 42-276/2013) are gratefully acknowledged. The authors acknowledge the National Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhubaneswar for NMR facility. Also the author thanks to Prof. A.C. Das (Retired Prof. Utkal University) for scientific discussion.
- 1.P. Perlmutter, Conjugate Addition Reactions in Organic Synthesis (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1992)Google Scholar
- 2.C. Bhanja, S. Jena, S. Nayak, S. Mohapatra, Beilstein. J.O.C. 8, 1668 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.E. Adami, E. Marazzi-Uberti, C. Turba, Sci. Farmacol. 9, 61 (1959)Google Scholar
- 9.D. Chiarino, G.C Grancini, V. Frigeni, A. Carenzi, Eur. Pat. Appl. EP 284017 (1988)Google Scholar
- 17.S. Mohapatra, S. Bhakta, N. Baral, S. Nayak, Res. Chem. Intermed (2014)Google Scholar
- 18.O.N. Chupakhin, V.N. Charushin, H.C. van der Plas, Nucleophilic Aromatic Substitution of Hydrogen (Academic Press, San Diego, 1994)Google Scholar