Sol–gel synthesis of Sm2InTaO7 and its photocatalytic activity on degradation of crystal violet dye and reduction of Cr(VI) ions
- 290 Downloads
This paper reports the synthesis of Sm2InTaO7 and its photocatalytic activity on the degradation of crystal violet dye and reduction of Cr(VI) ions in aqueous solution. Sm2InTaO7 was prepared by sol–gel method at 1,200 °C. For comparison purposes, Sm2InTaO7 was prepared also by solid-state reaction at 1,400 °C. The evolution of the crystalline phases of the sol–gel sample with the annealing temperature was followed by X-ray diffraction. The cubic crystalline structure of Sm2InTaO7 was determined by Rietveld refinement method. Specific surface area was 5 m2g−1 for sol–gel sample and 1 m2g−1 for solid-state sample, whereas energy band gap was around 3.5 eV. Sm2InTaO7 prepared by sol–gel method showed better photocatalytic activity than Sm2InTaO7 prepared by solid-state reaction for the mineralization of crystal violet dye and reduction of Cr(VI) solution under UV-light irradiation.
KeywordsSm2InTaO7 Sol–gel Photocatalysis Crystal violet dye Cr(VI) ions
The authors would like to thank CONACYT for financial support through the CB-98740-2008, CB-84809-2007, CB-103532-2008 and CB-83923-2007, and PAICYT-UANL2009 for the projects IT176-09 and IT171-09. Also Edgar Moctezuma would like to thank the projects UASLP C10-FRC-07-03. M.Z. Figueroa-Torres thanks CONACYT for the financial support through the program “Apoyos complementarios para la consolidación institucional de grupos de investigación-retención” No. 144226. Miguel A. Ruiz-Gómez thanks CONACYT for PhD scholarship No. 239336.
- 9.X. Tang, H. Ye, Z. Zhao, H. Liu, C. Ma, Catal. Lett. 133, 362 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.L.M. Torres-Martínez, I. Juárez-Ramírez, J.S. Ramos-Garza, F. Vázquez-Acosta, S.W. Lee, Advanced Research in Physics and Engineering. Proceedings of the 2nd WSEAS International Conference on Nanotechnolgy, (2010), p. 73Google Scholar
- 14.S.S. Kim, M.H. Park, J.K. Chung, W.J. Kim. J. Appl. Phys. 105, 061641 (2009)Google Scholar
- 19.Q.-L. Yang, S.-Z. Kang, H. Chen, W. Bu, J. Mu, Desalination 266, 149 (2011)Google Scholar
- 20.Software Topas R, version 3, Bruker Axs West Germany (2005)Google Scholar