A new genus and three new species of decapodiform cephalopods (Mollusca: Cephalopoda)
- 328 Downloads
We describe here two new species of oegopsid squids. The first is an Asperoteuthis (Chiroteuthidae), and it is based on 18 specimens. This new species has sucker dentition and a funnel–mantle locking apparatus that are unique within the genus. The second new species is a Promachoteuthis (Promachoteuthidae), and is based on a unique specimen. This new species has tentacle ornamentation which is unique within the genus. We also describe a new genus and a new species of sepioid squid in the subfamily Heteroteuthinae (Sepiolidae) and it is based on four specimens. This new genus and species exhibits unique modifications of the arms in males.
KeywordsAmphorateuthis alveatus Asperoteuthis mangoldae Cephalopoda Oegopsida Promachoteuthis sulcus Species descriptions Systematics
All photographs were taken by R.E. Young. We acknowledge the technical assistance of I.H. Roper in preparing the manuscript for publication and U. Piatkowski for information on the R/V WALTHER HERWIG cruises.
- International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature (2001) International code of zoological nomenclature, 4th edn. The International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature 1999. Available from the internet URL http://www.iczn.org/iczn/index.jspGoogle Scholar
- Lu CC (1977) A new species of squid Chiroteuthis acanthoderma, from the Southwest Pacific (Cephalopoda, Chiroteuthidae). Steenstrupia 4:179–188Google Scholar
- Nesis KN (1980) Taxonomic position of Chiroteuthis famelica Berry. Bull Moscow Obshch Ispyt Prirody, Section Biology 85:59–66 (in Russian)Google Scholar
- Roper CFE, Voss GL (1983) Guidelines for taxonomic descriptions of cephalopod species. Mem Nat Mus Vic 44:48–63Google Scholar
- Young RE (1978) Vertical distribution and photosensitive vesicles of pelagic cephalopods from Hawaiian waters. Fish Bull 76:583–615Google Scholar
- Young RE (1991) Chiroteuthid and related paralarvae from Hawaiian waters. Bull Mar Sci 49:162–185Google Scholar